Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

9 Comments
7 Likes
Level 2

Temporarily Removing Folder From Dropbox

These directions don't seem to work any longer: https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/leave-shared-folder. When I go to Sharing on your website, it no longer displays folders that have already been shared with me so that I can temporarily remove them from my dropbox. What are the new directions to do this?

1 Accepted best answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User II

Re: Temporarily Removing Folder From Dropbox

The help article has been updated to reflect the new process.

9 Replies
Super User II

jspecedlaw wrote:

These directions don't seem to work any longer: https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/leave-shared-folder. When I go to Sharing on your website, it no longer displays folders that have already been shared with me so that I can temporarily remove them from my dropbox. What are the new directions to do this?

It seems Dropbox has changed the way the Sharing page works again. The Sharing page now only shows shared folders that you can add to your Dropbox. Existing shared folders are now only listed in the Files section, along with all your other files and folders.

We don't have any official word yet on exactly what features have changed, so I wouldn't go clicking around just yet. I can tell you that I re-added a shared folder as a test, and when I deleted it later it re-appeared on the Sharing page as a folder that I could re-add again. However, I removed another shared folder as a test, and it doesn't reappear on the Sharing page. The difference between the two is that the first one was created and owned by me, while the second was owned by someone else.

Until we have official word on the exact changes in functionality, I wouldn't remove a share if you think you'll need access to it again later, unless you have the ability to contact the owner at that time and ask to be re-invited.

Highlighted
Super User II

The help article has been updated to reflect the new process.

Dropboxer

Hi jspecedlaw,

Thank you very much for reporting that the steps in the Help Center were not reflecting the correct steps to temorarlily remove a shared folder.

As @Rich mentioned the steps have now been updated to the correct process. Your question here helped our team to address that issue quickly and effectivly. Without you, other customers could have experienced this same issue. You’re helping us make Dropbox better for all our customers.

The /share/folders page lists all of the folders you have temporarily removed from your Dropbox account that you can choose to add back.

Best,

River

Dropboxer

Hi @Rich

For the experience you had with removing the shared folder could you please reach out so we can investigate further? Any shared folder temporarily removed from your Dropbox account should show up on the /share/folders page. 

Thanks,

River

Super User II

Since this happened I've added, removed and renamed many of the shared folders used between my test accounts, so I don't know for certain which one didn't appear in the list of folders that I could re-add.
Super User II

I've a very simple question here... why remove such simple yet effective functionality?

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Super User

Rich wrote:

It seems Dropbox has changed the way the Sharing page works again. The Sharing page now only shows shared folders that you can add to your Dropbox. Existing shared folders are now only listed in the Files section, along with all your other files and folders.

Hello, @River...

Is it Dropbox's intention that preexisting shared folders no longer appear in the shared area?  I prefer that all shared folders, whether preexisting or new, still appear in one easy-to-find shared area.

I created a few screenshots to demonstrate what @Rich said above about preexisting shared folders.  The two preexisting shared folder examples below I had to find via the files link.

If image doesn't load... refresh your browser, F5. Otherwise try again later

Super User

Mark wrote:
I've a very simple question here... why remove such simple yet effective functionality?

Hello, @Mark...

Agreed! White check mark

Dropboxer

Hi All,

Thank you very much for your responses and you have my apologies for the length of time it took to get the answers to this question. 

When we redesigned dropbox.com/share, our goal was to declutter this page, and to focus your attention on content you can add to your Dropbox. We didn’t make any changes to the actions that you can take with shared folders.

We removed Folders in your Dropbox’, because those folders can be found other places within the structure of your Dropbox account. To see the folders that appeared in the Folders in your Dropbox’ section, you can filter the Files page on dropbox.com by type. To do this:

1. Go to dropbox.com
 2. Click Files in the left side bar
 3. Click the Modified” filter at the top of the page. Modified” is the default selection for this filter.
 4. Select Type” to see all the shared folders in your Dropbox account grouped together

You can read more about filtering your files here:

Best,
River
Sharing and Collaboration

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Sharing and collaboration.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.