cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Dropbox Badge icon has been stuck in the center of my screen.

The Dropbox Badge icon has been stuck in the center of my screen.

Bea6
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The dropbox icon (blue circle white center) has suddenly appeared in the center of my screen. It doesn't interfere with anything else I'm doing, but I cannot remove it. The dropbox icon on my desktop is working fine. How do I remove it???

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bea6
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Jane,

Many thanks for your reply. I cleared my cache and then, in desperation, rebooted.
And the icon disappeared!! I should have done that from the beginning, but I usually work with many windows simultaneously and was reluctant to have to reset them all. I still have no idea of how the icon appeared, or why rebooting removed it, but I'm not asking questions!

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Bea6, let me have a closer look on how this appears to you, in order to suggest the most relevant next steps. I’d appreciate a screenshot (omitting personal info) of what you’re seeing in your next message here. 

Thanks in advance & I’ll be awaiting your next post on this discussion! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Bea6
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your reply. I am attaching an image of what my screen now looks like.Dropbox icon2.JPG

atccodex
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Are you on a phone or actual computer? If on a computer, try clearing your cache (press CTRL+SHIFT+DELETE for Windows) (COMMAND+SHIFT+DELETE for Apple) This will bring up a new menu where you can clear you cache.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks a lot for your cooperation & looping back to me here with this screenshot Bea6, it was really useful! 

I'd just like to add a bit of additional info & further advise on the matter. @atccodex's tips could be hepful, though following to your initial inquiry, you may keep in mind that the Dropbox Badge can experience placement issues in the following cases:

• Multi-monitor setup: if there are more than 1 monitors, the badge has issues attaching to the side of the Office window, the badge may be in an unexpected place (probably on the main monitor) 
  • A lot of windows open: the badge can’t determine which window is the active window, we prefer to not show anything as opposed to showing up on the wrong windows 
  • Re-sizing Office windows: may keep the badge in the same place after the re-size

Most often this can be resolved by switching windows and then clicking back into the Office window

Can you please give the steps I sent you above a go & let me know of the outcome on this discussion here? Thanks again & I’ll be awaiting your next message! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Bea6
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Jane,

Many thanks for your reply. I cleared my cache and then, in desperation, rebooted.
And the icon disappeared!! I should have done that from the beginning, but I usually work with many windows simultaneously and was reluctant to have to reset them all. I still have no idea of how the icon appeared, or why rebooting removed it, but I'm not asking questions!

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
That’s amazing @Bea6 & thanks a lot for keeping our discussion here updated with the solution! :unicorn:

That’s some excellent troubleshooting, since restarting your computer refreshes your Windows Explorer & reloads the Dropbox visual elements (we also have it on our list of recommendations internally, so I’d also point you towards this direction if this persisted for you). Please don’t hesitate to let us know of your thoughts or questions again in the future & it’ll be a pleasure to discuss with you again. Take care until then!  

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Bea6
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Jane, thanks so much!!

goskeet
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi You all, I have the dropbox icon parked in the middle of my screen.  I have cleared my chrome cache (the only browser I use) and rebooted. The icon remains.  Any other ideas?  

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @goskeet, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you try an incognito window and/or another browser and let us know how it goes?

If the issue persists, I'd appreciate a screenshot too. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

petorosu New member | Level 2
    goskeet Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Bea6 Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?