cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to attach as a file

Unable to attach as a file

BusyNurse
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I have been using Dropbox for several years now and up until last week I had 2 options when trying to send my files via email: attach as a file or upload a link. I no longer have the “attach a file” option. The people I work with do not use Dropbox and have no interest in the added steps to access the files I send. Please help me restore my ability to attach the file to my emails
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
I've just tested the issue you've described and this seems to be an issue with Outlook, not Dropbox, as Dropbox doesn't control that process. Microsoft created the process of attaching files from within Outlook. They simply use the Dropbox API to do it. In fact, Dropbox doesn't even need to be installed on the device.

You'll need to reach out to Microsoft for assistance with this.

View solution in original post

41 Replies 41

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
What platform are you doing this on; computer, mobile, etc.? Please list the exact steps you're taking.

BusyNurse
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I am using a mobile platform using all the same steps I have used forever.
I open my outlook, click to add an attachment, select the folder and then the file I am looking for...
The options have always been “attach as a file” or “attach a link”.
Now the only option is to attach a link

PDH
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

When I go to attach a PDF file to an outlook email through dropbox, I now only get the link option. I’m using an iPad Pro with 11.2.5 & I think this started after the update. Thanks

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
I've just tested the issue you've described and this seems to be an issue with Outlook, not Dropbox, as Dropbox doesn't control that process. Microsoft created the process of attaching files from within Outlook. They simply use the Dropbox API to do it. In fact, Dropbox doesn't even need to be installed on the device.

You'll need to reach out to Microsoft for assistance with this.

Lambi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I’ve the same problem - outlook update has got rid of the feature it’s now a pain in the backside.

Is there another away of attaching multiple files in outlook as files rather ban links?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
You'll need to ask Microsoft as Outlook is their product. Dropbox has no control over that process.

Martyn
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

You can use alternative email apps to access your outlook email to attach file. For iPhone iOS11 using native Mail app:

1. Go to Mail

2. Hold your finger on the blank space of the mail until the pop-up appears

3. Choose "Add Attachment"

4. You will come to native Document app, click the "Locations" of the top left corner

5. It will show any cloud storage apps you have on your phone, choose "Dropbox"

6. Choose any files you would like to attach in there

Hurrah, you have succesfully attached a file in your email! Different email apps may have slightly different steps but the key steps are choosing "Locations" and then "Dropbox" for iPhone users after you try to add attachment.

I think Android phone should work the same. By using other email apps will bypass the inability of Outlook app to attach file from Dropbox or any other cloud storage sources. Hope this helps.

Moma
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

We need to know how to attach a dropbox file via Outlook mail.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@Moma wrote:

We need to know how to attach a dropbox file via Outlook mail.

If you're doing this from within the Outlook app, then you need to contact Microsoft as it's their app and they seem to have removed that ability.

If you're doing this from within Dropbox, tap the elipsis ( ... ) for the file and select Export. Then tap Open in and select Outlook. Outlook will open and start a new email with the file attached.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

ArlynAA Explorer | Level 3
    SMITH255 New member | Level 2
    LaurelK New member | Level 2
    Wiggithoney New member | Level 2
    PropertyVine New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?