cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uploaded to shared folder higher than my own quota... how is my file doing?

Uploaded to shared folder higher than my own quota... how is my file doing?

SaddestGavin
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi!

I was invited to upload a file to someone through dropbox. They shared a folder with me. I uploaded a 28GB zip file to their folder. I am now told that my own 2GB quota has been exceeded.

I have read the "Will Joining Someone Else's Folder Use My Quota?" and I now understand what the limits are here and why they exist. 

My question is: currently, is my 28GB file successfully shared with the other person while DropBox waits to see whether I upgrade to a paid account? Or has only 2GB of the file been shared, or some other form of restriction? Ultimately, the goal is to share this file and be done with it. 

My recipient has a pro account and I won't need Dropbox after this.  I am hoping that the file is currently OK and that I can ask them to tell me when they've downloaded it so I can delete it on Dropbox and consider the transfer complete without having to upgrade or pay. I assumed that if one party was paying, that would suffice to allow the transfer. However, if the file is only partially there as a result of quota issues, I'll have to consider another method. 

Thanks in advance for any advice you might have, 
Saddest

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
As long as they are not in breach of their quota they will yes 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
How did you upload it SaddestGavin?

If via the Dropbox folder on your computer you may find it uploads fine. Mouse over the Dropbox icon on your status bar to see what Dropbox is up to.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

SaddestGavin
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Mark, 

Thanks for your response. I don't see anything when I mouseOver the Dropbox icon.

Here's how I uploaded it: I followed a dropbox link that was emailed to me. In order to access the folder, I needed to log in/create an account. Once I had done that I saw a folder that was shared between myself and the person who shared it with me. I uploaded by 28GB file to that folder overnight and in the morning I saw it had uploaded successfully. One day later I received a message saying my quota had been reached (saying that I'd used 28GB of my 2GB limit) and that has prompted me to ask this question. 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
So you did it via the website?

Easy way to check then is to go to www.dropbox.com/home and see if you can see the file.

You can also then see www.dropbox.com/account which will show your quota and if you are -26gb you know its uploaded 🙂

SaddestGavin
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi! 
Yep, I can see the file and I can see that I'm over my quota by the amount mentioned above. My question is whether the recipient will have access to the file while I am in breach of my quota? 

Thanks 🙂 
Saddest

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
As long as they are not in breach of their quota they will yes 🙂

SaddestGavin
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Oh that's good news, thank you!

Do you know if there's an amount of time I can be in breach of my quota before DropBox takes action? 

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
There T&C's state that they can delete things, however, I'm not aware of them ever having done so.

SaddestGavin
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for that info. 

Final question: if the other user un-shares the folder with me, will that make the 28GB upload no longer a shared file, restoring my quota while delivering it to their account exclusively? My worry with this is that the file would be damaged in the event of the shared folder being un-shared

Thanks for all your help
Saddest

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
If they unshare the folder, they have the option of whether or not to allow you to keep a copy of the folder and the files it contains. If they allow you to keep it, the file will remain in your account and you'll still be over quota, but you'll be able to remove it yourself if needed. If they don't allow you to keep a copy, it will be removed from your Dropbox.

If the file is in your Dropbox, it uses your quota, whether it's currently shared or not.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

TMw1rs New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    SaddestGavin Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?