cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where's all the links (green ticks) gone?

Where's all the links (green ticks) gone?

Chris R.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

I know that the end of Public folder support is from today, but ALL links from my Dropbox folder have now gone. I can't share a file from ANYWHERE in the folder. There are NO green ticks.

I've quit Dropbox and relaunched - still no ticks. What [removed by moderator] is going on???

(Mac OS X Mavericks)

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
I'm not wrong at all. See https://www.dropbox.com/help/9199 'Symlinks' section for at least one page where they say you need the original files in the Dropbox folder and links elsewhere. Just because its 'worked until now' doesnt mean it was supposed to.

And yes. Reinstalling will keep all safe.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Chris R.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
Ok, I downloaded the new Dropbox (it's always done this automatically - why did it suddenly STOP today?) and now I have my green ticks back.

You did, after all, have a solution that worked for me. For that I thank you.

But why oh why did you have to complicate matters with all that nonsense about symlinks? They work, they've always worked, they continue to work. Let's leave it there.

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

First, please watch your language here, and that includes using a partial spelling of the profanity. Continuing to do so could result in your posts being removed or your account suspended. Thank you.

I can't share a file from ANYWHERE in the folder. There are NO green ticks.

Is Finder integration enabled? If not, enable it. If it is already, perhaps try toggling it off and on.

Chris R.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

What do you mean by "Finder integration"? I've never done anything like what you say before. I just used to open a Finder window and there was everything in my Dropbox folder with a green tick against it. Now there are NO GREEN TICKS. Not anywhere in the Dropbox folder.

Sometimes the ticks weren't there, but if I quit the DB app and re-launched, they reappeared. Not today. 

Chris R.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

By the way, I've just checked in DB Preferences AND in Finder Preferences AND in System Preferences, and there is nothing there called "Finder integration". You'll have to explain what on earth you're talking about.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey Chris R.

Thank you for getting in touch with us here, happy to help you with that!

Based on your description, it sounds like a device-specific issue.

Firstly, have you installed the latest version of the desktop application? Then, can you please make sure that you do not have any Symlinks

Also, if you could send me a screenshot (ommiting personal info) of what you are seeing, this would be really helpful in determining the case. 

Please note that if the above do not help, this issue might need to be looked into by one of our experts through our support channel

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Kind regards, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Chris R.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
Thanks your reply Jane.

1. Installing Dropbox - this you do automatically so I must have the latest version.

2. Symlinks - where? I have always had some symlinks to items that cannot physically be moved to the Dropbox folder, but this has never caused failures. And it’s ALL my DB items that are not showing green ticks, not just symlinks.

3. I could send a screenshot if it helps, but it’s very easy to describe - nothing has a green tick, and when you right click, all Dropbox options are missing from the context menu.

Hope this helps.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey Chris R.

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Please note that because you mention that you have Symlinked some items on this device, my idea is that unexpected behaviour is caused because of that. Can you please temporarily disable those links and see if the issue you are experiencing persists? 

If you would like more instructions on the process, it'll be a pleasure to follow-up, though in order to be granted access to your account, can you please log a ticket with us and let me know a ticket ID in your reply? 

Thank you in adavance!

Kind regards, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Chris R.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

I've logged it (thought please note, your link was to the wrong type of subject), but "you will get back to me" so there isn't a log number yet. 

I don't think it's symlinks. Why would they suddenly "play up" today of all days? No, I think it's something to do with your ending of support for the Public Folder today. You've made some change to make this happen, and it's affected all my Dropbox content. That's my theory anyway.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
The public links changes are server side only.

Have you tried reinstalling Dropbox? www.dropbox.com/downloading

And please note as well that Dropbox doesnt support Symlinks so you may find support tell you to remove them before they'll assist.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Chris R.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution
Sorry, you're quite quite wrong. My browser bookmarks, my address book, among other things, have been connected to my Dropbox folder via symlink for years (prompted by a Dropbox Knowledge Base article!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

So you can tell me to remove my symlinks but it's rubbish. They've always worked. It's only today, with the ending of support for Public links, that all my links have gone.

I will try reinstalling Dropbox, but are my client Dropbox folder contents safe while I'm doing that?
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Chris R. Collaborator | Level 10
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?