cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Submit your story to win a $25 Amazon gift card and a Dropbox hoodie! Ends Nov. 16
Known issues updated Learn more
2 Comments
0 Likes
Level 1

Why can't I play a video someone shared me, won't play when i download on my PC

A firend shared a video with me and they say it plays fine for them on Dropbox and on their PC.... when i try and play it says 'Unable to preview this item.'.... when i download it, it won't play in any media player at all...

HELP ME

2 Replies
Super User

Re: Why can't I play a video someone shared me, won't play when i download on my PC

Hello, Luke...

HELP CENTER ARTICLES:

FREE DROPBOX USERS SHOULD BE AWARE:

• There are 20 GB bandwidth limitations set per day. This means that every file, photo or video that's viewed and/or downloaded counts against your daily allotment.
  • EXAMPLE: You share a link to a 500 MB video (0.5 GB) and it's viewed 40 times in less than 24 hours, then your 20 GB bandwidth limit for a free Dropbox account has been attained (your links will be temporarily disabled, and anyone who tries to access them will see an error page instead of your files).
  • Keep in mind that if you share a link with people who in turn shares the link with their friends, especially via social media, then your bandwidth limit could be reached in an hour (not hours).

Highlighted
Super User II

Re: Why can't I play a video someone shared me, won't play when i download on my PC

Luke - have you actually got a program on your machine capable of playing said file? 

Dropbox simply transfers the files, its up to your computer to open/play it

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Sharing and Collaboration

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Sharing and collaboration.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.