Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

4 Comments
1 Like
Level 2

Wife prompted to sign in with Google—why?

I have a Dropbox account, and I use it on my MacBook Pro. In my Dropbox, I created a folder to store and share digitized household recipes. Today, I shared that folder with my wife. She got the invitation in her email, and she tapped the button labeled "Go to folder." The next thing she saw was an invitation to either sign in with Google or to create a Google account. 

We're both perplexed about this. I thought (and so did she) that she would simply have direct access to my Recipe folder in Dropbox. I thought I could share files with other people, whether or not they have a Dropbox account of their own. What's this Google stuff got to do with Dropbox?

1 Accepted best answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User II

Re: Wife prompted to sign in with Google—why?

Google is simply a different way of signing in to Dropbox (if you choose that option).

So the link you've sent was a shared folder for which your wife needs an account to access (read / write access folders need accounts). If you dont need her to have write access cancel that share at www.dropbox.com/share and send her a link as per https://www.dropbox.com/help/167

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

4 Replies
Highlighted
Super User II

Google is simply a different way of signing in to Dropbox (if you choose that option).

So the link you've sent was a shared folder for which your wife needs an account to access (read / write access folders need accounts). If you dont need her to have write access cancel that share at www.dropbox.com/share and send her a link as per https://www.dropbox.com/help/167

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 2

Thank you, Mark. Very helpful! I'm still a newbie at Dropbox. This was a learning experience.
Super User II

No worries at all - welcome to Dropbox!

Any more Q's you know where we are.

And dont worry about the share thing, I'd say its probably the thing that confuses most people yet its one of the most simple parts of Dropbox - I think its the fact the terminology is almost identical for each method yet each one has very different functionality and capability.

Level 2

I still don't understand "why" google is with dropbox ...

Sharing and Collaboration

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Sharing and collaboration.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.