cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Direct download" links are not working

"Direct download" links are not working

Bjarke_Daub
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello

I am trying to make a folder public, but whenever I share the link the receivers (including myself) cannot download the files. We are guide to the file on dropbox but the file cannot be downloaded.   An example is: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f549knzc9eg3jvb/AACdPY9KOKqRpTrKLhYlKOWia?dl=0

This is not in a public folder.    But it is  a problem that has happen again after March 15.

An immediate answer is appreciated.

Thanks

Bjarke

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
12 Replies 12

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey Bjarke_Daub

Hmmm... I'd be glad to look into that . Can you please open a new support request with us, in order for us to be granted access to your account and let me know a ticket ID in your reply? 

Many thanks in advance, looking forward to hearing back from you!

Kind regards, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

I can reproduce this, but only in IE. In Firefox and Chrome it's working fine. Also, the link you posted is still invalid. Here's one of mine if you want to test it.

carryduff
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have found the same thing. I cannot get direct download to a file and the create link has a ? after it.

Has anyone found a solution?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Have you done what was asked and logged a ticket?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

carryduff
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am about to as just searching for a solution. I found this...

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?281129-PSA-DROPBOX-images-no-longer-link-(now-you-have-to-pa...)

which seems to suggest that a Pro account is required but can't confirm that.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
For Public folders to still work you needed to be a paying user at the time free users lost access to it (15th March). It is not retro active.

Note as well this ONLY applied to links made inside 'Public' - no other changes happened.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

carryduff
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Apparently the change of public folders to private has also changed the ability to directly link to files.

http://lifehacker.com/your-dropbox-public-folder-isnt-public-anymore-1793341675

This was the only reason I used dropbox. Now I need somewhere else to host my podcast mp3s, any suggestions?

TehJumpingJawa
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

You can still right click any file in your dropbox folder, "Copy dropbox link" to get a URL into your clipboard, and then manually alter the ending of the URL from "?dl=0" to "?raw=1".

It's infuratingly tedious, and a huge regression in functionality.... but it does work.

Hopefully Dropbox recognise this key use case that many of its users have relied upon for years, and fix their client to properly support it - lest they go elsewhere for their syncing & light file hosting.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Sjd1984 New member | Level 2
    carryduff Explorer | Level 4
    TehJumpingJawa New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?