cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"We were unable to complete your request"

"We were unable to complete your request"

kla
New member | Level 2

A Dropbox business account from my work is trying to share a folder with my personal account. When I try to add the shared folder, I get "we were unable to complete your request." I cannot figure out what is going on. I have enough space in my Dropbox account for the folder and I even converted my account to work account to see if that would make a difference. I tried contacting Dropbox with a help ticket and recieved a generic response that did not help at all. I have also tried going through a different browser and the app on my phone with the same result.

Any suggestions?

7 Replies 7

Mark
Super User II
How large is the share KLA?

It maybe that its simply too large to process (I believe the limit is 10,000 files). If so ask them to share a smaller folder with you and as soon as its shared and accepted add the additional files in to it.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

inscape
New member | Level 2

I am having this exact same problem. A business account is trying to share with my personal account, exact same error message. The reply suggested here doesn't help because I know the folders are not that big. Anyone find a solution to this problem?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Hi there @inscape!

Have you given another browser as shot? Also, using incognito and ensuring that you’re not running any browser extensions may also just do the trick.  

If you’re still experiencing some trouble with this, can you please send us a screenshot (omitting any personal info) so as to have a better understanding of what you’re seeing?

Thanks in advance! :upside_down:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

KBrooks
New member | Level 2

Hi, I'm trying to remove access to certain sub folders for some users, and each time it comes up with this error message. I've now tried Safari and Chrome - not working. Please let me know how to resolve. Thanks. 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @KBrooks

Thanks for trying out some initial troubleshooting - awesome work!

The next step I'd suggest taking is to clear the cache and ensure that you're not running any third party browser extensions. 

Let me know if this helps!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

muliar
New member | Level 2

Same for me in Firefox.

Same for me.
But browser's console shows correct error. Why would not you show actual reason instead of obscure "We were unable to complete your request"

HRPOST
https://www.dropbox.com/2/sharing/alpha/share_folder
[HTTP/2 409  647ms]

Uncaught (in promise) 
Object { message: "You don’t have permission to perform this action.", raw: {…}, summary: "no_permission/...", error: {…}, headers: {…} }

​

However I am able to just copy contents to my dropbox.

This is definitely a bug.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @muliar - thanks for bring this to our attention.

Could you let us know if you're able to find the folder in your sharing tab?

Also, does the error persist on other browsers or after clearing your browser's cache? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    muliar New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    KBrooks New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?