cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Known issues updated. Learn more

Help us improve our online support experience by taking our short survey!

no

Highlighted

restricting viewer copying, printing, and/or downloading

Level 2

Is it possible to restrict the ability to copy content from a pdf file that is shared in Dropbox?  Is it possible to restrict the ability to download the shared file? I am trying to provide the ability to view a file without granting permission to either download the file or copy and paste the text within the pdf.

It appears from my testing that downloading a shared file is permitted.

It also appears that the copy, paste and print restrictions I placed on the original file are not present in the dropbox shared file.  Am I correct?

3 Replies

Re: restricting viewer copying, printing, and/or downloading

Dropboxer

Hey there @Dynastydan - great questions you got there.

How are you putting those restrictions in the first place? 

The Dropbox app allows you to create a read-only link to any file or folder in your Dropbox folder. People who click the link will get a preview of the file or folder. They'll also have the option to download a copy of the file.

You can read more in our Help Center: 

https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/view-only-access

I'm not sure if this helps, yet, our Professional and Business plans also offer the ability to set a password to your shared links and even an expiry date or disable downloads for them whatsoever. You can have a further look into these features here:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/set-link-permissions

I hope this information is helpful to you and please let me know if you have any further questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

Great question @Dynastydan!  I'm wondering the same thing myself.  In my case, I would like to share with my students answer keys to assignments for self-grading, but I want to keep the document as secure as possible--no downloading, copying, or printing. 

Google Drive can do this, but viewers can still add the documents to their personal Google Drives (unless I remove sharing altogether, which defeats the purpose).  So I'd like to see if Dropbox offers an alternative solution.

@Walter -- Dropbox's link expiration & disabiling downloads is very nice, even if restricted to higher level plans, but what about disabling the ability to print or select & copy from the view-only document?

@Walter -- could you also clarify this, which came from the set-link-permissions page you shared:

"Important note: Disabling downloads for a shared link prevents people from downloading the contents of a link through Dropbox. This doesn’t prevent people from saving the content using other methods."

What other methods might this consider if it is only viewed in a browser?  There is no getting around screenshots, but what else?

Dropboxer

As you said, this probably refers to printing the page which is a browser specific (also machine specific) action and can't be restricted by us @SJanzenUMD

In any case, I'll pass your comments to the dev team as suggestions to improve the service - thank you for your feedback.

Should you need anything else, or you have anything to add, in the meantime, please let me know.

Happy Monday!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Sharing and Collaboration

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

restricting viewer copying, printing, and/or downloading
More about this post
3 Replies
1 Like
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post