cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shared links and view only

shared links and view only

dmbguy
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Is there a way to send someone a shared link and to make that file view only? I want to send some examples of my work to potential employers, but I would prefer that the contents of the file not be editable.

It appears that this option is available when sending a file to be shared with someone who is on Dropbox. But the dialogue box does not provide that option when you send someone a shared link. 

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
It is: just send them a shared link.

If you are 'testing' the link it will allow editing as Dropbox will realise you are actually opening your own file

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
No. All it does is stops them editing it.

They are free to download it, take images off it etc. They just cannot edit YOUR version.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@dmbguy wrote:
Would the shared link also prevent the recipient from, say, copying and pasting the contents of the file? Or does it just prevent them from editing the actual material in my file on Dropbox?

Hello...

Mark has answered your question, however, if you're curious... you can view my example folder so that you'll have a better understanding of what your recipients will see after clicking on your shared links.

HELP CENTER ARTICLES:

14 Replies 14

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
It is: just send them a shared link.

If you are 'testing' the link it will allow editing as Dropbox will realise you are actually opening your own file

dmbguy
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
ah, terrific. Thank you. Would the shared link also prevent the recipient from, say, copying and pasting the contents of the file? Or does it just prevent them from editing the actual material in my file on Dropbox?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
No. All it does is stops them editing it.

They are free to download it, take images off it etc. They just cannot edit YOUR version.

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@dmbguy wrote:
Would the shared link also prevent the recipient from, say, copying and pasting the contents of the file? Or does it just prevent them from editing the actual material in my file on Dropbox?

Hello...

Mark has answered your question, however, if you're curious... you can view my example folder so that you'll have a better understanding of what your recipients will see after clicking on your shared links.

HELP CENTER ARTICLES:

supurfr
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Brilliant, thank you for your help.

ntwhite02
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Im confused.  As I read that shared link they can still download.  I want to know how to share the link and disable downloading.  is suggestions?

310EI
Super User
Go to solution

@ntwhite02 wrote:

Im confused.  As I read that shared link they can still download.  I want to know how to share the link and disable downloading.  is suggestions?

Hello, @ntwhite02...

Correct, files can be downloaded and there's no way to disable it via Dropbox.

KaChing
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Is there a way to disable the dowload option with a view-only shared link?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

KaChing wrote:

Is there a way to disable the dowload option with a view-only shared link?

No, there isn't.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Rich Super User II
    FRIIS & partner New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
    KaChing New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?