cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Submit your story to win a $25 Amazon gift card and a Dropbox hoodie! Ends Nov. 16
Known issues updated Learn more
1 Comment
0 Likes
Highlighted
Level 2

someone else adding to my shared files

i have a shared file with someone. I upgraded to more storage as she needs to send me many photos. She keeps saying my dropbox is d\full. 

Does she need to have the larger storage like I have?

1 Reply
Dropboxer

Re: someone else adding to my shared files

Hi there @jeff17!

Your Dropbox quota is calculated based on the total contents in your account, which includes shared folders. A Dropbox account can't sync more than its quota, including the space taken up by shared content. 

To find out how much space is available in your account, as well as how much space is being taken up by regular and shared content, just navigate to your Plan tab

Since every member of a shared folder can add and modify the files in the shared folder, the shared folder takes up space in each member's account. This policy exists to prevent people from giving themselves unlimited space by stacking Basic accounts and shared folders.

If you'd like to share a folder without impacting the recipient's quota, you can share a link to the folder

If you'd like others to upload files to your account without impacting their quota, you can send a file request. That way, they can upload files from their account but also from their computer. File request.png
Finally, if the other user doesn’t have enough space in their account to upload their photos, they can earn space

I hope this helped. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Sharing and Collaboration

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Sharing and collaboration.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post