cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: when trying to accept an invitation to a shared folder, dropbox wants me to create a new account

when trying to accept an invitation to a shared folder, dropbox wants me to create a new account

Leslie B.8
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

A friend sent me an invitation to join a shared folder. When I tried to accept it, Dropbox asked me what I wanted to do with all my files! It wants me to create a whole new dropbox account in order to keep my files separate from the folder I've been invited to join. This has never happened before and I can't find a way around it. I just want to join the shared folder- I absolutely do not want to create a new dropbox account in order to do so. I already have a dropbox account!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Leslie

Here is the hard truth, based on the screenshots that you gave, and thanks a bunch for those, the invitation is not from a regular Dropbox account.  It could be that the other person has accepted a trial run of Dropbox for business or even a free Team account, but no matter, its another set of rules.  I will list a bunch of Help Center 
Articles at the end of this post for your review

Here are a bit of facts.  You would want to have a new account since once accepted, you lose ownership of that account,  Another point is after joining a Business team if the team admin decides to remove you from the team, the account is deleted.  It does NOT get returned to the previous owner.  So this is a different ball game, a different Dropbox experience.  I would recommend reading up on it to see if you want this.

HELP CENTER ARTICLES:

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

View solution in original post

Maple
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Leslie B.8,

From your screenshots, it looks like your friend invited you to join their team. Accepting the invite would change your account to a Business account. This does not sound like what you are trying to do. I would ask your friend to resend the invitation to join the shared folder following instructions here: https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/share-with-others

Shared folders in business accounts may have restrictions on sharing out of the team. If this is allowed by the team admin, the user would see a warning that they're sharing out of the team, and the share will go through. If the admin has prevented sharing out of team, then your friend should talk to their admin about what they are trying to accomplish and why they need to share outside the team.

------------------------------
iOS Engineer @ Dropbox

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Leslie

is it possible that the sender invited you to the shared folder, using an email address that is not associated with your email address that you are using for your registered Dropbox account?  if so, then ask the sender to invite using the correct one.

Hopes this helps

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Leslie B.8
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you for that, but no. She used the only email I've had for years. I don't know what is going on but it's really frustrating.

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Leslie

it must be frustrating and I am sorry you are experiencing this.  I haven't heard of this problem so bear with me as I try to be of assistance.

how did you receive notice of this invitation?  Also as of late, you should get a notification of an invite thru the website.  If you go to https://www.dropbox.com/share/folders  do you see any notification of a invite to a shared folder?

Are you using the Desktop Client?  also, can you try it again and possibly give us a screenshot of what happens when you accept the invitation to a shared folder and upload it here for review.

Leslie B.8
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I did get an email notification to "join the team APAA" rather than to join a shared folder, but my friend insists that she invited me to share the folder. I'm attaching a screen shot of what the invitation looks like on the link you shared. It's the one from Sharon Gates. I really appreciate any help you can give!

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 9.39.13 AM.png

Leslie B.8
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Here's what happens when I click "accept."

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 9.43.56 AM.png

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

I haven't heard of APAA account but it doesn't mean there isn't one,  this seems related to having a Business account which is what the other has.  I am not familiar with these rules yet but I am reaching out to my fellow Super Users and even uploaded your screenshot so I can get an answer for you.  Please be patient with me.  At least we are getting closer to a solution.  I will post soon another reply

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Okay Leslie

so basically, the other (the one who invited you) either have a free team Dropbox account or actually has a Dropbox for Business account.  Since they just need to share a folder, I would suggest that you select to keep your accounts separately.  The other option is to transfer but that will have different rules that you may not be ready for.  So I suggest the second option to keep accounts separately.  Hopefully, it will give the option to sign in on existing account.  But let us know if any other issues with this

Thanks for being patient with us.

Leslie B.8
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you, Chris. The APAA is just the name of our group- not a type of Dropbox account. Sharon organizes our group and named her folder that. But when I tried to "keep my files seperate" Dropbox doesn't give me an option to keep my existing account- it wants me to set up an entirely new account, even requesting a new email address (separate from the one I already use with Dropbox.) Of course, I don't want to do that. I already have an existing Dropbox account, which I pay for (for extra space.) 

I asked Sharon what type of Dropbox account she has and it's not a business account, she says. Just a regular account.

Leslie B.8
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Here's what happens when I click "accept."

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 10.57.27 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-09-06 at 10.57.36 AM.png

Need more support?