cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get notifications of changes made to my files?

Can I get notifications of changes made to my files?

Wiene24
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi, we have a folder on dropbox with a couple people at work.

I shared the whole folder but there is only 1 item in it so far.

If I change file or add a comment it should give a notification to everyone right?

But if the look at notifications in the dropbox windows icon it doesn't show any notifications, just that I was the one who changed the file as last person. But no pop-up.

If someone else adds a comment, than I do get a notification. Is it because I am the owner that I am the only one who gets it? And how can I make sure everyone gets te notification/pop-up that I (or someone else) added something?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
They should get the notification as long as they have Dropbox running AND they've turned on notifications within Windows (I assume?) and the Dropbox client itself.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Mark is correct. The notifications you would receive for a file being updated are desktop notifications and they aren't persistent. The notifications section within the Dropbox app is used for new shared folders, comments left on your files, etc., and not file updates.

If you're on Windows 10, the Action Center might hold on to them.

Screenshot 2017-04-13 08.59.25.png

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
They should get the notification as long as they have Dropbox running AND they've turned on notifications within Windows (I assume?) and the Dropbox client itself.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Wiene24
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Dropbox is always on, the notification settings in dropbox are on, but the tab notifications is empty.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
What do you mean 'tab notifications is empty?'. Sorry. Not quite following 🙂

As an aside maybe an update would help? www.dropbox.com/install

Wiene24
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have the latest version, what I mean is the dropbox icon on the right bottom of your screen, there you have two tabs (Notifications and Recent Files), in the notifications tab nothing shows up at someone else's computer when I change something in the file.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
I'm 99.99% sure thats because that tab isnt designed to show that information. The notification they'd receive would be a small pop up notification on their screen for a few seconds.

That notification screen is for larger updates (e.g. 'X shared a folder with you. Accept / reject').

I'm just checking that though now.

Wiene24
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

The strange thing is that I did get a mesage there once

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
That could have been an older version or a glitch.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Mark is correct. The notifications you would receive for a file being updated are desktop notifications and they aren't persistent. The notifications section within the Dropbox app is used for new shared folders, comments left on your files, etc., and not file updates.

If you're on Windows 10, the Action Center might hold on to them.

Screenshot 2017-04-13 08.59.25.png

Wiene24
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Unfortunatelly we are still working with Windows 8. So if I put a new comment in the file or I change the file, my co-workers will only receive a short text balloon saying that there has been a change or a comment has been added? There is nothing else you can see it at a later stange within the dropbox-app on the computer?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mark Super User II
    Wiene24 Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?