Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Can viewers see others in the folder?

Level 3

I have to share a folder with multiple parties but I don't want each to know that the folder has been shared with anyone else (even as avatars). If I give someone view only, can they see other avatars in the folder? 

5 Replies

Re: Can viewers see others in the folder?

Dropboxer
Hey @rebecca10, since shared folder participants should be able to see each other within the share, it would be best if you shared a link to the folder instead, which will merely allow them to view & download a one-way, read-only copy. 

I hope that this answers your initial question & please do let me know on this discussion if you need further assistance or I’ve missed anything along the way. Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3

Thanks Jane. If I do use "shared a link to the folder" will the participants be able to see the number of other participants the folder has been shared with? (for exmaple the number of avatars within the folder?) 

I want to share the folder with a number of participants but I want them to think they are the only one with access to the folder. 

Super User II

@rebecca10 wrote:

... will the participants be able to see the number of other participants the folder has been shared with?

No. They can't see anything about the other people that have received or viewed the link.

Level 3

Can they see that the folder has been shared with other people though? For example, within the folder there are 4 other viewers? 

Dropboxer

Quick-fire answer --> No, provided that you share a link to the folder @rebecca10; if you proceed following our recommendation with Rich, recipients will only be able to view the content (but not each other). To get a better understanding of what will be visible to them, you could try creating a shared link from your own account & then copying it on an incognito window, ensuring that you're not signed in. 

Hopefully this brings a bit more clarity, however please let me know if you have any follow-up questions. Thanks again for keeping in touch here! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Sharing and Collaboration

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Can viewers see others in the folder?
5 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post