Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Creating a New Shared Folder from a Business account to share with a free account

Level 2

I have a client who has a business account and is sharing a folder with me. I have a free account, but the shared folder has over 2GB of data. I can still access some of the older files, but none of the newer files. Dropbox is asking me to upgrade.

Can I get the client to create a New Shared Folder, share that one with me instead and solve the space limit issue I have?

Tags (2)
3 Replies

Re: Creating a New Shared Folder from a Business account to share with a free account

Dropboxer
Hey @lharris, since your Dropbox storage quota is calculated by adding up the total amount of data stored in your account, this includes all shared folders you are a member of and all files collected from file requests. Now, because you’ve already added the share to your account, you’ll have to remove your access & ask the folder Owner to share a sub-folder instead if possible. 

Alternatively, they could share a link to the folder instead, that will not impact your account allowance & will allow you to view or download a one-way, read-only copy. In case you’d like to contribute in a project or in any way send them files in return, you could ask them to send you a File Request. (Note: I’ve created a walkthrough on how you could go about with that here). 

Last but not least, you can also earn some extra space following the steps outlined here

Hopefully my message brings a bit of clarity & provides you a useful alternative; please do let me know how my suggestion works for you or in case you need further assistance in any way. Thanks for checking in with us on the Community! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Creating a New Shared Folder from a Business account to share with a free account

Level 2

Thanks Jane. I've removed the shared folder from my Dropbox and will use the link option instead since I only need to view and download files.

Dropboxer

Fantastic @lharris; happy to hear this has been sorted for you now! Happy Dropboxing ahead & feel free to ping us here again for more tips & tricks. Wishing you  a relaxed weekend ahead & take care until we talk again! 😊

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Sharing and Collaboration

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Creating a New Shared Folder from a Business account to share with a free account
3 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post