Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Download file from Dropbox

Level 3

I would like to download sheet music from Dropbox to my iPad and save it in MS Word so that I amy see the music even if I dont have internet connections.  Can I drag it from Dropbox to the iPad without erasing the music from Dropbox?

3 Replies

Re: Download file from Dropbox

Dropboxer

Assuming that you have our mobile app installed on your iPad you should be able to export your files to a third party app (such as MS Word) with no problem @Frark!

Depending on your needs, you can also make it available offline as well!

I hope this helps to some extent and please let me know if you have any more questions!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3

Thanks Walter. I do have Dropbox on the iPad, but I dont know if it is a mobile app or just the regular app. What I'm trying to do is move the sheet music files in a directory on Dropbox to the iPad where I can save the music in the memory of the iPad.  In that way I will have access to the music even if there is no internet service.

Dropboxer

Thanks for the clarifications @Frark - much appreciated. 

Note that when it comes to our mobile application (this is our app for Android or iOS devices such as your iPad), the Dropbox app is a file viewer that allows you to preview the files, photos, and videos in your Dropbox folder directly on your mobile device.

Unlike the Dropbox computer application, the Dropbox app does not automatically store files locally on your device. This is because we want to be mindful of resource constraints mobile devices face such as device storage or bandwidth limitations. Given this, the contents of your Dropbox will not take up space on your mobile device. It also means that you cannot preview files without a WiFi or data connection. Drag and drop is not an option as well; you'll have to export the said file to the third party app you'd like to use to open it with natively on your iPad. 

On iOS:
If you'd like offline access to a file, you can make it available offline by tapping the arrow to the right of the file and turning on the Available offline option. You can find any files you've made available offline by tapping on the menu button and selecting “Offline files”. These files are available offline and any changes you make while offline will sync back to Dropbox.

If you have the Dropbox application installed on multiple mobile devices, or on a computer, you'll be able to view the contents of your Dropbox folder on all of your connected devices. Any changes you make to a file on one device will be reflected across your devices. Your storage quota is consistent across all devices as well. For more on your storage space, you can visit our Help Center: 

https://www.dropbox.com/help/topics/space_and_storage

I hope this information helps while it's also worth mentioning that you can find lots of other helpful information at any given moment in the mobile section of our Help Center:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/topics/mobile

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Sharing and Collaboration

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Download file from Dropbox
3 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post