Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Download options different for recipient of share link

Level 3

For several months  I've been delivering photos to a client via a shared link to a folder on my Dropbox Plus account.  Today for the first time I sat with him at  his desk and watched him download the photo files.  I was surprised to see that he has to download them one at a time because there is no selection box that appears in the upper left corner of the image files when he cursors into the file name.   I've tested the link in my own browser, and it opens to the same page as his, but my photo files offer a selection box on each image (or the Select All check box option on the folder name) that allows me to download all of them at once. 

He does have a dropbox account of his own, and he and I are both running Windows.   I'm on Win 10, but I'm not sure what revision he's on.  Why isn't he seeing the same selection boxes that I see?  How can I set it up so he can download multiple files at once?

Thanks .......... Bob R. (modbuilder)

PS - New to this forum, and I did attempt to search the old posts but didn't find an answer.  Apologies if this is well-plowed ground. 

7 Replies

Re: Download options different for recipient of share link

Dropboxer

Hey there Bob - welcome to our forums!

They should be getting an option to "Direct Download" on the upper right corner when they access your shared link to download the whole content of the folder in question.

This should prompt a .zip file to dowload from the website and they'll have to unzip it (using a 3rd party app for that purpose) to see its contents.

I hope this information helps and please let me know if there's anything else you'd like to ask; I will be happy to assist in any way I can.

Thanks in advance for your reply @modbuilder!  

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3

Very helpful indeed.  I recall seeing the "Direct Download" button as part of the difference in screens that I saw at my client's desk.   I'm sure that'll solve the problem.  I suppose that everyone to whom I've given a Shared Link is having the same experience (?)  The reason I ask is that I'll need to modify the instructions I've been sending folks.   When I've tested the links on my own system to make sure the links work right, I always saw a screen just like the ones I had on my system when populating the folders, so I thought that's what everybody got.  Glad to know the truth of it. 

Wish I'd learned this several months ago -- it would have saved some communication disconnects with clients.    Thanks again for the help............ Bob R.

Dropboxer

Thanks for your reply Bob - most appreciated.

As you're logged into your account already when you test this from your end, what you described is pretty normal. The best way to test a shared link out would be to try it out on an incognito - private browsing window. 

I hope this helps to some extent and don't hesitate to reach out again should you come up with any more Dropbox questions.

Have a great weekend @modbuilder

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 3

Found that all I have to do is log out of my account, and then check the link.  Thanks All.............. R

Dropboxer

Glad to hear this helped Bob a.k.a. @modbuilder - thanks for keeping me in the loop!

Should you ever come up with any Dropbox questions, feel free to let us know.

Thanks for using Dropbox and have a magnificent week ahead!

Walter

Level 2

I have been using DB for years receiving Pictures in bulk from Photographer. Recently the "Direct Download" button is no longer showing up.  Something has changed on the senders side preventing the driect download.  I do not have a synced account - nor do I want one. Directdown worked great.  Help - it must be a setting but I have no idea what the sender is seeing.

Dropboxer

Sorry to hear you're having issues with this @PFLCB

If this behavior is persistent on several browsers (or an incognito window with no extensions or plugins running) after having cleared your cache, it's possible that the sender of the shared link in question has disabled the downloads for their shared links - a feature available to our Professional and Business plans. 

If that's the case, you'll need to reach out to them and ask them to re-share the link in question without setting any restrictions on it for you to access and download the files you need. 

Let me know what you find!

Walter

Sharing and Collaboration

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Download options different for recipient of share link
7 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post