Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

File permissions in shared folders

Level 2

I have a folder which contains copyrighted photos.  I want to allow a potential client to access these as VIEW ONLY, without the ability to download the files.  Can you tell me how to do this please?  BTW - this is in Dropbox Pro.

7 Replies

Re: File permissions in shared folders

Super User II
You cant. Sorry.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Sharing a link or folder with download restrictions is not a feature today. However, this is a known request for several industries.

For now you could watermark images and embed copyright info in the image metadata.

Level 2

It is absolutely crazy that this is not a feeature. It is a MUST for photographers, allowing people to preview photos.

Level 2

I agree this is unacceptable to not have as a feature. I will have to look somewhere else and probably have to cancel my dropbox plan. Sad.

Level 2
Box is capable of doing this. Dropbox needs to make it happen!

Level 2

First of all, I agree with literally EVERYONE else, it's not acceptable that this is not a feature for Pro/Business. It should just be a given! 

More importantly, however, is that there are clear directions on DB on how to use the function!!! WTF? Why is it listed as a function when it doesn't exist? What kind of game is that? The "Yes" button is grayed out. Just had to waste 20 minutes of my time to figure out that it's just a scam. Awesome. There are so many things that need improving in Drob Box. They all just seem so clear and obvious. 

Dropboxer

Update: Dropbox Pro now has the ability to apply a visual watermark and the ability to restrict downloading when sharing a link. More details here:

https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/share/add-a-watermark

https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/share/set-link-permissions

Sharing and Collaboration

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

File permissions in shared folders
7 Replies
13 Likes
Solved! : See solution