cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to share a Dropbox File or Folder with a Short URL

How to share a Dropbox File or Folder with a Short URL

Susan P.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I would like to make some files stored in my Dropbox, downloadable from a web page. For this reason, I would like to be able to create Short URL's for each file. I have read the following tutorial but it seems to be old: http://www.ampercent.com/link-to-dropbox-files-folders-short-url/6215/

Could you advise me please?

Thanks.

28 Replies 28

Joshua S.24
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

This really is insane they haven't fixed this yet.

It was a mistake to remove short URLs.  Mistakes happen.  Just put them back already.

Every time I share a link I think how I need to just ditch Dropbox already and move to one of (several) better solutions for this kind of thing... all because they won't just enable a feature they already built.

*facepalm*

Jonas L.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hey people, at least on the Mac there are some app which automatically shorten URL when they are copied! I'm using Short Menu, it's really helpful.

Raegan H.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I get the feeling that almost everyone here is referencing/talking bout Dropbox the web version. I use the downloaded version of Dropbox on my computer. It looks like a folder on your computer:

I share a ton of Dropbox files because I'm a recruiter and I always send a link to a candidate's resume to the client before the interview.

Current Steps I have to take are:

1. Find the file in one of the folders
  2. Right click the file 
  3. From the short cut menu that comes up, select "Copy Dropbox Link" (see image below)
  4. That copies the loooooong dropbox url name for the file into my computer memory
  5. Open up bit.ly
  6. Paste in the long url - bit.ly shortens it to something like raegan.cc/AcX5lp
  7. I then select the "customize url" in bit.ly so it looks like raegan.cc/janesresumepdf (example)

Way too many steps.

FEATURE REQUEST TO DROPBOX ****************

To be able to shorten the long Dropbox URL right from the file while in my Dropbox folder on my computer. 

IDEA: Dropbox, in addition to having the option, "Copy Dropbox Link" have and option called "Shorten Dropbox Link" -

Partner with bit.ly.

Here's why: For starters, it's the #1 URL shortener and it has a feature customers use where we can create our own bit.ly branded url domain. 

I have a bit.ly branded shorten domain name in bitly.ly called raegan.cc so when I shorten a a URL to send out FROM bit.ly it goes out like this "raegan.cc/janesresumepdf" or "raegan.cc/Auxo3b", etc.

But when I want to shorten the url for a Dropbox file (which is about 7 to 10 times a day), It takes 4 or 5 steps do to this.

Dropbox, would you consider partnering with bit.ly or creating some way to shorten your urls directly from Dropbox on the downloaded version? It wouldn't look spammy when people like me use a branded shortened url.

Thoughts everyone? 

Dropbox, partner with bit.ly! I bet they would love to talk about it!

Raegan

www.linkedin.com/in/raeganhill

www.raegnahill.net

Alex R.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Another vote for short urls. And if you do that, please also allow us to have a short url for the direct download version.

Question: How does SnagIt do it though? As Shown above by Jeff L, SnagIt gives you a http://db.tt/... link ... I just tried it too and it's true. If SnagIt can do it, so should we? Any clues?

Vape L.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

@alex r thats a good question

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

They have been removing shortened links from Dropbox over the last couple of years. They very likely will not add a feature that they have spent the last two years removing.

The last (it seems) location that can create shortened links is within the v1 API (which is likely how SnagIt does it). The v1 API is deprecated and will be discontinued this year.

Shortened links are dead within Dropbox. Use a third-party service such as goo.gl or bit.ly to create them.

mariyaadems
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

You can use tinyurl or bit.ly to make your URL shorten

segushi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
So ? Is there still someone in Dropobox trying to work on what we call CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE here ? Like assessing topics when hundreds if not thousands of users ask for a specific feature for example ?.... .. Ah, but focusing on the IPO is probably more important, is it guys ? 🙂

thepilot63
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

GET THE SHORTEN URL LINK BACK! COME ON!

Need more support?