cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Husband and wife using same files, two computers - How to avoid duplicating storage?

Husband and wife using same files, two computers - How to avoid duplicating storage?

cbusht
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

My wife and I use some of the same files shared from Dropbox. How do I determine if we are duplicating storage on our individual computers?

Thank you,

Cal

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Minato
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @cbusht

As an editor of the folder, any actions taken in the Dropbox folder it is reflected on the cloud storage and vice-versa, so in extend any changes you make are reflected on the files on your wife's computer.

After you save an edit on your computer, the edit is synced to the cloud storage and then it syncs to your wife's computer. If a file is deleted by the owner or an editor, then it's deleted for all users. And so on...

The above has as condition for the Dropbox app to be active, healthy and opperational.

To check if the Dropbox app is active and healthy just check the icon on  System Tray (Win) or Menu Bar (Mac) and the Sync Icons on the Dropbox Folder.

As for the last part of your question, Shared Folders take space from all accounts added.
For example, if you Share a 5 GB Folder with an account that can only hold 2 GB, they won't be able to add it to their account.
You can use Shared Links for others to view (only) your files without taking space.
You can use File Requests if you want to receive files from other people.

Let me know if you have additional questions or require any clarification! :wink:

Minato
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Not sure what you mean?

Are you both installing Dropbox on each others computers on separate user accounts?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

cbusht
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

We have rental properties and I create documents, saved to my dropbox and my wife creates documents and saves to her drop box. We share documents with each other and an accountant. If I have inadvertantly downloaded files shared with me, may those may I delete them from my dropbox but still have access because the files are shared? If I have downloaded files, may I delete them from my dropbox and not effect my wife's files?

thank you,

c

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there cbusht, thanks for posting your question on the Community, & I hope you’ve had a wonderful week. I’d just like to paint two separate pictures for you so that I can make sure that I answer (or at least get close to answering) your question. 

Scenario 1 has to do with you & your wife sharing the same Dropbox account but have your own Dropbox folders on separate computers. In this case, if you delete something or remove access to a file, then that will sync to all other devices and dropbox.com. This means that your wife will also stop having access to the files. 

Scenario 2 is where you & your wife have separate accounts, have the Dropbox desktop application downloaded on your own computers, but have access to the same shared folders. If you delete a file from the shared folder, then everyone who has access to that folder will be unable to see it. However, please remember that you can only do that if you are the owner or have edit rights. If you remove your access to a shared folder, your wife is still going to have access to the folder, even if you are the owner (your ownership rights will be given to someone else). You may also keep in mind that the shared folder will stop being accessible to everyone if the owner deletes it. 

I hope this helped clear up some confusion. Do let us know if you have any more questions or need to further clarify. In the mean time, have a wonderful day! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

cbusht
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

You answered in part: "Scenario 1 has to do with you & your wife sharing the same Dropbox account but have your own Dropbox folders on separate computers."

This is not the case. We individually have drop box logons. We do NOT use the same account. 

Then you wrote: "Scenario 2 is where you & your wife have separate accounts, have the Dropbox desktop application downloaded on your own computers, but have access to the same shared folders. If you delete a file from the shared folder, then everyone who has access to that folder will be unable to see it. However, please remember that you can only do that if you are the owner or have edit rights. If you remove your access to a shared folder, your wife is still going to have access to the folder, even if you are the owner (your ownership rights will be given to someone else). You may also keep in mind that the shared folder will stop being accessible to everyone if the owner deletes it. "

Okay, I am partially lost... the gist of my question is - My wife has a set of files which she has shared with me. I can view and edit. Maybe 2 questions: If I download the files to my dropbox to edit, I am supposing the edits show in my wife's file copy - but does this downloaded file in my dropbox count against MY storage space? If so, How may I interact with this file without downloading into my own drop box. 

thank you,

cal

Minato
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @cbusht

As an editor of the folder, any actions taken in the Dropbox folder it is reflected on the cloud storage and vice-versa, so in extend any changes you make are reflected on the files on your wife's computer.

After you save an edit on your computer, the edit is synced to the cloud storage and then it syncs to your wife's computer. If a file is deleted by the owner or an editor, then it's deleted for all users. And so on...

The above has as condition for the Dropbox app to be active, healthy and opperational.

To check if the Dropbox app is active and healthy just check the icon on  System Tray (Win) or Menu Bar (Mac) and the Sync Icons on the Dropbox Folder.

As for the last part of your question, Shared Folders take space from all accounts added.
For example, if you Share a 5 GB Folder with an account that can only hold 2 GB, they won't be able to add it to their account.
You can use Shared Links for others to view (only) your files without taking space.
You can use File Requests if you want to receive files from other people.

Let me know if you have additional questions or require any clarification! :wink:

Minato
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Minato Dropbox Staff
    cbusht Explorer | Level 3
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?