Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

I'm having an issue commenting on a file. How can I see if this option was disabled?

Level 2

I wanted to add comments to photos and then share the photos with the comments with coworkers. When I go to add comment nothing happens when I click on the comments on the toolbar at the bottom.

5 Replies

Re: How do you turn off comment notifications for a file?

Dropboxer
Hey EliB, thanks for posting us on our Forum! 

For starters, please note that you can disable comments on a file following these steps: 

#2. Navigate to the file you want to disable comments on.
#3. Click (ellipses) at the top of the preview. 
#4. If the file is in your Dropbox account, you click Disable comments to disable all comments for that file.

If, on the other hand, you’re unable to comment on a file, then I’d suggest trying to load the file in question through an incognito window & follow the steps outlined here anew. Can you get going once you change your browser? 

If you’re still unable to do so, can you let me know what’s the file extension in your next reply Eli? 

Thanks again & I’m looking forward to hearing back from you! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

thanks. I got it to work incognito. I then emptied my cached files and it is working on regular chrome. thanks for your help.

Dropboxer
Perfect EliB, happy to hear that this easy fix did the trick for you this time! upside-down face

Don’t hesitate to let us know of any additional questions or thoughts you may have in the future & it’ll be a pleasure to discuss it again with you. Happy Dropboxing & I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day ahead! 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Level 4

I see no elipses.  i see nowhere to find a way to share comments on a photo or on a folder.

Dropboxer
Hey @SJon, while this is an outdated discussion, I’m wondering if the document owner has disabled commenting (i.e. if this file is placed inside a shared folder or you’ve viewing it through a shared link). If you’re currently experiencing this discrepancy with a file you’ve added to your own account, then attempting to access the same content through an incognito window & clearing your cache would be a great starting point. 

If you’re still unable to post any comments after trying my suggestions, I’d appreciate a screenshot (omitting personal info) of your current view & a step-by-step description of the matter at hand, as it would point us towards the best next steps; please include these deails in your next message if possible. 

Thanks for taking the time to try my suggestions & clarify matters for me; I'll be awaiting your next update! 

Jane

Sharing and Collaboration

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I'm having an issue commenting on a file. How can I see if this option was disabled?
5 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post