cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to move shared folders without breaking shared links?

Is it possible to move shared folders without breaking shared links?

Designworks D.
New member | Level 1

Hi guys,

I am trying to clean up and reorganise my Dropbox and would like to know, before I proceed, if I can safely move a shared folder "A" to inside another unshared folder "B" without breaking the links that I have shared with others to folder "A"?

Thanks in advance.
AC

3 Replies 3

DaveC2
New member | Level 1

The SHARED FOLDER will remain shared to you and the others, its location/name in each sharers dropbox can be moved/renamed without effecting the share (excluding into an already shared folder or subfolder).
If you add someone to the shared folder following the move/rename the original name of the folder is still used when they are granted the share.
If moving a shared folder in your dropbox it is somewhat advisable to perform this via the web interface, as this will ensure you do not move it into an already shared folder, as the interface rejects your attempt. if you move it on a machine the move is completed and then the DB app has to try and deal with it. Depending on situ this normally looks like "you left the shared folder" "you joined the shared folder" events, worse case being "you left the shared folder" and "you added your own folder" 😞 (caused by a missing .dropbox file in the shared folder which is used for post move/rename tracking of the folder name, expected to be soon superseded by beta version of the DB app)
FYI: While I dont think you were meaning web links, ANY web link becomes invalid if the folders its in or file itself are changed.

Artex b.
New member | Level 1

Hi Dave,

So if I understand you correctly: there's no way to move a shared folder into another shared folder?

Thanks,

Artex

Rich
Super User II

there's no way to move a shared folder into another shared folder?

Correct. Shared folders cannot be nested within each other.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Artex b. New member | Level 1
    DaveC2 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?