cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Is there a way to sync my files from the web to my desktop but not the other way around?

Is there a way to sync my files from the web to my desktop but not the other way around?

danidar
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello,

I want to prevent dropbox from syncing back to the cloud files that are already on my computer.. or I want only to sync from dropbox to computer  I do not have enough space in the cloud to have all the files.. so there is a folder I do not wish to sync back to the cloud but if there are  new files on it to sync to hard drive.. if i use selective sync it wants  to delete all files on my harddrive.. so I have to move the folder out of dropbox folder which is only a workaround.

is there another way?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@danidar wrote:

i just want to have one direction sync.. from dropbox to local storage  and I want dropbox to ignore what is on local storage and not upload it again.

No such option exists. Dropbox is intended to sync files in both directions. It cannot be configured to only sync from the cloud to your computer.

I want dropbox to ignore what is on local storage and not upload it again.

The only way to do that is to move the files out of the Dropbox so they can't sync.

So, use camera uploads and allow the files to be added to Dropbox. Let them sync to your computer. Then move them out of the Dropbox folder to another location on your local drive. That will also remove the files from your Dropbox account, freeing up space for more photos to be uploaded.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there (@danidar), Iā€™m unsure that Iā€™m following you 100%, though Iā€™ll try to do my best to try & address your concerns! 

If Iā€™m not wrong, youā€™d like avoid syncing some files youā€™ve stored locally on your device to your Dropbox account online, am I on the right track? Please do let me know if Iā€™m misunderstanding your request in any way. 

Now, if my assumption is correct, then youā€™re on the right path. If youā€™d like to keep your files locally (i.e. not synced to your Dropbox account online), then all you need to do is save them on a different location on your device, as Dropbox would see only the files within the Dropbox folder. 

On the other hand, if youā€™d like to avoid syncing content down to your device, then you can utilize our Selective Sync feature, which will preserve all your content safely stored on your account online. (Tip: You may also have a look at this resource here, where Jay explains matters in a bit more detail.)

Whenever you find some time, please have a look at my suggestions above & do let me know which one best matches your needs in your next message, in order to further advise on how you can go about on your initial inquiry. Thanks in advance! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

danidar
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello,

this is basically the problem. my dropbox ran out of space so I synced everything to my computer and remove the copies on dropbox but everytime I connect dropbox uploads everything back..so i am back to square one.  i just want to have one direction sync.. from dropbox to local storage  and I want dropbox to ignore what is on local storage and not upload it again.

selective sync will delete everything I have on local storage unless as you say i remove it from the dropbox folder.

this is the scenario.. i take photos and videos on the phone that are automatically synced to dropbox.. then i connect to the computer and download all the photos taken with the phone to the local hard drive. so selective sync is a no go because new photos taken by the phone will not be downloaded to local hard drive. after a while i remove the photos from dropbox because i do not have enough storage... but as soon as i do that dropbox upload the photo back to the cloud... i want dropbox not to do that. but still download them to the computer when there are new pictures/videos.

hope is clear

thank in advance.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks a lot for taking the time to further clarify matters for me here @danidar, thatā€™s mostly appreciated; let me stir a different course to help you get going with the deletion! 

You could completely erase your account contents once youā€™ve stored your files on a different location on your device thatā€™s outside the Dropbox folder. You can easily drag & drop your files to a selected location or right-click on the ones you wish to remove select Cut  :play_button: navigate to the location youā€™d like to store them :play_button: right-click & select Paste. Once the deletions sync to our website, you should be good to go. 

(Note: The steps are slightly different for a Mac, so please refer to thisresource here in case you're not working on a pc. ) 

Hopefully this answers your question, though I remain at your entire disposal should you have any follow-up inquiries or in case you need any further assistance in any way. Take care until we talk again & enjoy the rest of your day! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@danidar wrote:

i just want to have one direction sync.. from dropbox to local storage  and I want dropbox to ignore what is on local storage and not upload it again.

No such option exists. Dropbox is intended to sync files in both directions. It cannot be configured to only sync from the cloud to your computer.

I want dropbox to ignore what is on local storage and not upload it again.

The only way to do that is to move the files out of the Dropbox so they can't sync.

So, use camera uploads and allow the files to be added to Dropbox. Let them sync to your computer. Then move them out of the Dropbox folder to another location on your local drive. That will also remove the files from your Dropbox account, freeing up space for more photos to be uploaded.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    danidar Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?