cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to track shared files?

Is there a way to track shared files?

JG23
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi. I have shared a dropbox file with a number of colleagues (they can view not edit, sharing is not locked), however one of these individuals have shared it with an unauthorised person. Is there any way to track who is responsible for sharing the file? Do I need to upgrade to dropbox business? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Pikamander2
Super User
Go to solution

When you received the request for access, did you accept it or reject it? If you rejected it, then the person they shared the link would have been unable to download the file from Dropbox directly.

But like I mentioned above, there's really no way to tell if people have shared the file outside of Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Pikamander2
Super User
Go to solution

If you're using Dropbox Business, then the Activity page in the Admin Console might give you some clues. You can check out the Monitor Team Sharing Activity article for more info.

Aside from that, do you know the manner in which the file was shared? If an authorized person downloaded it and then shared it outside of Dropbox then it'll be difficult to figure out who it was if nobody admits to it.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
And just to add... I don't think upgrading to Business will help. It might have provided more information had you already had a Business account before the item was shared, but that information will not be available retroactively.

JG23
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thank you Pikamander2.  It seems like the person copied and forwarded the dropbox link he/she received per email when the files was shared. An anauthorised 3rd party then tried to access the dropbox folder by clicking on the link - which is when I received a dropbox notification asking me to grant access. 

Pikamander2
Super User
Go to solution

When you received the request for access, did you accept it or reject it? If you rejected it, then the person they shared the link would have been unable to download the file from Dropbox directly.

But like I mentioned above, there's really no way to tell if people have shared the file outside of Dropbox.

JG23
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I rejected the access request , however I would like to identify the individual that cannot be trusted in our team. Looks like dropbox business may have helped, had I had it from the start. Going to upgrade to avoid similar instances in future. Thanks for your help ! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JG23 Explorer | Level 3
    Pikamander2 Super User
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?