cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Password Protect Folders/Files Not Working

Password Protect Folders/Files Not Working

pduk
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

I have the business account so should be able to set passwords for files and folders when I share them. I attempted to do this with a file - I went through the steps to set a password and shared it to the email address of a colleague. 

They clicked the link in the email they received ("go to folder") and it took them to log in. Which they did. Dropbox asked them to add the folder. Which they did. 

HOWEVER, when they clicked on the folder it opened without any password being asked for. There was also a password protected file inside the folder. They could also open this without being prompted for a password. 

Please can you advise as to why this is happening and how to rectify it. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@pduk wrote:

I have the business account ...

Do you have a Dropbox Business account, or a Basic/Plus/Professional account that you're using for business purposes? You can see the exact plan that you have on the Plan page. Basic, Plus and Professional accounts are considered personal accounts.

They clicked the link in the email they received ("go to folder") and it took them to log in. Which they did. Dropbox asked them to add the folder. Which they did.

This sounds like you shared a folder with your colleague. A shared folder cannot be password protected and there's no way (using Dropbox) to password protect the content of a shared folder. Since a shared folder is shared to a specific individual and a Dropbox account is required, there's no need to further protect it with an individual password. Only the people you specifically share it with can access it.

A share link can be password protected, if you have a Professional or Business account. Basic and Plus accounts (Plus, formerly known as Pro) do not have this feature unless they were grandfathered in when Professional accounts were made available (about 7 months ago). A Dropbox account is not required for the recipient, so they wouldn't be required to log in before they could view the content.

Note that the password on share links is really a false sense of security, in my opinion. Share links can easily be passed on to another person (or posted online) along with the password, and you would never know it. If you need to ensure the security of a file or folder (and even that isn't 100% secure since anyone could just copy the content to a new folder and re-share it), then you should use a shared folder and invite the specific individuals that require access to the content.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@pduk wrote:

I have the business account ...

Do you have a Dropbox Business account, or a Basic/Plus/Professional account that you're using for business purposes? You can see the exact plan that you have on the Plan page. Basic, Plus and Professional accounts are considered personal accounts.

This sounds like you shared a folder with your colleague. A shared folder cannot be password protected and there's no way (using Dropbox) to password protect the content of a shared folder. Since a shared folder is shared to a specific individual and a Dropbox account is required, there's no need to further protect it with an individual password. Only the people you specifically share it with can access it.

A share link can be password protected, if you have a Professional or Business account. Basic and Plus accounts (Plus, formerly known as Pro) do not have this feature unless they were grandfathered in when Professional accounts were made available (about 7 months ago). A Dropbox account is not required for the recipient, so they wouldn't be required to log in before they could view the content.

Note that the password on share links is really a false sense of security, in my opinion. Share links can easily be passed on to another person (or posted online) along with the password, and you would never know it. If you need to ensure the security of a file or folder (and even that isn't 100% secure since anyone could just copy the content to a new folder and re-share it), then you should use a shared folder and invite the specific individuals that require access to the content.

mrib
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a business dropbox free trial account. When I send the password protected link of a folder to myself (separate email address). I still don't get the password entry box to access the folder just a sign in dropbox account. Please help!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @mrib - sorry to hear you're having issues with your password protected sahred links. 

Can you create a new shared link for testing purposes and let me know if you still notice the same behavior?

If you do, please forward me the shared link in question so I can investigate further. 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

mrib
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
What is your email address so I can send the link?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm sorry, can't you just send it to me here? Note that this is why I asked you to re-create the issue with a test shared link; not to disclose any personal information that is. 

Moreover, note that if you'd like account specific assistance, you can log a ticket with our Support team through the following page @mrib : https://www.dropbox.com/support

If you'd like me to reach out to your Dropbox associated email address so we can work on this together instead, please let me know. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

mrib
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Yes please contact me via Dropbox associated email address. Thank you!

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the swift response @mrib - I just sent you a brief message to the email address that's connected to your Community's profile so we can have a further look into this. 

At your earliest convenience, please take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @mrib, I just wanted to follow up on this and check if you were able to resolve your concern in the end. 

If you were, could you let us know the steps you followed?

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?