cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem trying to share a folder, managing permissions.

Problem trying to share a folder, managing permissions.

acej
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

I'm trying to share a folder and keep getting this error message obstacle:  "You don't have permission to manage membership of this folder". I've checked all the permission settings on my iMac for this folder and the folder it is in etc. Any suggestions would be appreciated? Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @acej,

If the folder you’re trying to share is already shared at a higher folder level with this person, they should inherit access to this folder. When you mentioned that they don’t have access to the folder, are they not able to see the subfolder?

It would be worth checking that this folder doesn’t contain any bad characters in the folder name which might prevent them from seeing the folder on a connected computer. You can check your account for bad file names with the link here.

Otherwise, can you go to the top level of the shared folder and click the “Share” option for the folder. From here, click the gear icon in the top right corner and check who can “Manage access” to the folder.

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there @acej,

Can you let me know if the folder you’re trying to share is already shared? If so, are you the owner of this folder? 

The message you see there suggests you’re trying to share a folder where the owner has restricted sharing permissions to only themselves, so shared folder members are not able to add others to the folder.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

acej
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Hi Daphne, Thank you for your response. No, its not already shared, but it is within an already shared folder - shared with the same person I'm trying to share this folder with as she can't get access and I am being blocked out as well from adding anyone with the aforementioned message. I am the owner of all these folders.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @acej,

If the folder you’re trying to share is already shared at a higher folder level with this person, they should inherit access to this folder. When you mentioned that they don’t have access to the folder, are they not able to see the subfolder?

It would be worth checking that this folder doesn’t contain any bad characters in the folder name which might prevent them from seeing the folder on a connected computer. You can check your account for bad file names with the link here.

Otherwise, can you go to the top level of the shared folder and click the “Share” option for the folder. From here, click the gear icon in the top right corner and check who can “Manage access” to the folder.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

acej
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Thank you Daphne!

That appears to have worked. I had a forward slash in the folder name "/". Took it out and now the share-ee has access.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @acejI’m glad to hear that did the trick!

I’m always here if you have any further questions or issues. :grin:

Have a great day - Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    acej Collaborator | Level 9
What do Dropbox user levels mean?