cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Issue with Excel files

Using formulas in Excel files saved in Dropbox

JSEURO
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This issue is very recent, and happened a couple of days ago when I noticed that I was not able to build certain formulas in my Excel files shared in Dropbox. When I start to build a formula (usually with the "=" sign), and then try to pull a number or data from another sheet within the same file, the cell where I want the result will be empty, and the result of the formula will appear on the sheet where I wanted to pull my data from. 

Not sure if I have been clear with my issue, but bottom line is that I am not able to work formulas on Excel files shared on my Dropbox. I tried by moving the same file from Dropbox to my hard drive, and there it worked without any issues. Same thing happens when I open a new Excel file (without saving it). 

My Dropbox version is 23.3.15 and shows up to date.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey JSEURO 

Thanks for getting in touch on Community, please let me clarify! 

Just as an initial troubleshooting step, I would advise you to downgrade to the latest stable build 

Secondly, please note that the external location referenced within an Excel is a link to your HD drive, so when your workbook is downloaded onto another's computer, the locations that your formula points to are no longer there. The link in the workbook is looking for a specific place, for example "/JaneMacBookPro/Jane/File", and that location is no longer accessible from a different computer.  

Hope this helps you clarify! 

If you need to ask anything else about it, please reply to this post, I'd be glad to follow-up.  

Kind regards, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey JSEURO 

Thanks for getting in touch on Community, please let me clarify! 

Just as an initial troubleshooting step, I would advise you to downgrade to the latest stable build 

Secondly, please note that the external location referenced within an Excel is a link to your HD drive, so when your workbook is downloaded onto another's computer, the locations that your formula points to are no longer there. The link in the workbook is looking for a specific place, for example "/JaneMacBookPro/Jane/File", and that location is no longer accessible from a different computer.  

Hope this helps you clarify! 

If you need to ask anything else about it, please reply to this post, I'd be glad to follow-up.  

Kind regards, 

JaneA

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

JSEURO
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Hi JaneA.
Thank you very much for your suggestion. This was actually the solution to my problem since I was running a Beta version. I also received help from Dropbox Support, since I tried to downgrade my software from your post, it kept installing the latest (beta) version which kept the issue.
Dropbox Support guided me to review in my settings (at the Dropbox website) and uncheck the "Include Me in Early Releases" box. This allowed me to downgrade to the latest stable version and the issue was resolved.

Thanks again.

Drongo13
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you for this!

I was looking everywhere for this solution. 

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Would you mind taking a minute of your time to fill out a survey sharing your experience using our Dropbox Community? You can access the survey here: http://bit.ly/2lNKIxT

Thank you!

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

rodzul
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same thing happens to me but with version 23.4.18.

Downgrading to the latest stable build has not solved my problem.

Drongo13
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
FYI:
I am running:
- OSX Sierra 10.12.4
- excel for Mac 2011 version: 14.7.2
- dropbox stable version: v22.4.24
- unchecked "include me in early release" in my DB web settings

Once I did this, my excel files behaved as normal with Vlookup's & formulas working as they should. I hope this helps.

JSEURO
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Drongo13. Thank you for the info. 

I did exactly what you mention, a couple of weeks ago, and it worked. But recently Dropbox released a new version that does nor work, and since it is a "Stable Version", you cannot downgrade to the 22 version, since it will update again.

FYI: This morning I noticed a more recent version of Dropbox, 23.4.19, and it seems that the Excel files are working propoerly.

I will try and keep an update.

Drongo13
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@JSEURO - thank you for this. 

I just checked mine and it seems that DB is automatically applying the updates, and cant downgrade any more. 

Mine is also on 23. 4.19 and seems to working all ok now.

Will update if anything looks/operates out of character.

Thanks again 

alva114
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Well, there are many cases in which the Excel file formulas stop working. This generally happens due to some type of issues, corruption, or due to some mistake in the Excel workbook. Moreover to fix the common issues in Excel file it is recommended to update your file and Windows operating system.

Need more support?