cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving files in Dropbox

Archiving files in Dropbox

HelpdeskDemo
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Do archived folders take up less space than active ones on their dropbox account?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Agreed with Mark. Pretty sure if it's in your account and not deleted, it will count against your storage quota.

View solution in original post

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey HelpdeskDemo, just adding to this discussion that you could also call in or chat in to our team (depending on your subscription) through the help section of the admin console here: https://www.dropbox.com/team/admin/help (provided that you're the admin).

Please get in touch with our colleagues during our Business hours listed there and we'll do our best sending over some quick tips & tricks on how to set up your folder structure. 

Also, since you've mentioned that you're new to Dropbox Business, I'd advise having a look at AgentJay's thread here, so as to set up your folder structure from scratch. 

Hope this is helpful & let me know if you have further questions, I'll be glad to follow-up!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

HelpdeskDemo wrote:

Do archived folders take up less space than active ones on their dropbox account?

What do you mean by archived folders? Dropbox doesn't have an archive function for your files. Anything that exists in your account will count towards your storage quota. Deleted files and folders do not take up space in your account.

HelpdeskDemo
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

First of all, thank you so much for responding me with all my questions. I really appreciate it.

Sorry I wasn't specifc about my question.

I am learning the functions for Dropbox Business. 

Admins (only) can create a team folder, and also they can archive those folders. Archived folders willl be stored, but admins have an option to delete it if they want to. So I meant this archive ones.

Anyway, thank you again for your help. You will see  me asking more silly questions. 🙂

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
My gut instinct is that it WILL use quota up as the only thing that doesnt is deleted files. Technically these files are not deleted so I imagine they'll use up quota.

I'm going to add to the question list though ;o) by asking how long do they stay archived? If undeleted I imagine indefinitely. It may be worth checking with Sales: www.dropbox.com/business

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Agreed with Mark. Pretty sure if it's in your account and not deleted, it will count against your storage quota.

HelpdeskDemo
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Thank you!!

HelpdeskDemo
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Thank you

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey HelpdeskDemo, just adding to this discussion that you could also call in or chat in to our team (depending on your subscription) through the help section of the admin console here: https://www.dropbox.com/team/admin/help (provided that you're the admin).

Please get in touch with our colleagues during our Business hours listed there and we'll do our best sending over some quick tips & tricks on how to set up your folder structure. 

Also, since you've mentioned that you're new to Dropbox Business, I'd advise having a look at AgentJay's thread here, so as to set up your folder structure from scratch. 

Hope this is helpful & let me know if you have further questions, I'll be glad to follow-up!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

WilliamLedesma
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dropbox is  taking  alot  of  memory  from  my pc , I  was thingking  if I can  archive  files  would this  free up space on my  PC.

Im not  concerned will  billing  just   productivity .

thanks  in  advance.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @WilliamLedesma; thanks for joining our Community!

I'm sorry for the late reply; are you still having issues with this?

If so, could you provide some additional information so we can troubleshoot?

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    WilliamLedesma New member | Level 2
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    HelpdeskDemo Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?