Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

1 Comment
0 Likes
Highlighted
Level 2

Avoiding file duplication when being used by multiple projects

Hi!

I usually work with images & video, hence my projects use to usa a certain amount of storage. On the belief that dropbox is a better version of our desktop, one that is on the cloud among other improvements, i think we should be able to create "shortcuts" that work also on the cloud... is not that hard, is´nt it?

It would be a great way to avoiding file duplication.

Yours,

Nico.

1 Reply
Super User II

Re: Avoiding file duplication when being used by multiple projects

@Nicostoria wrote:

On the belief that dropbox is a better version of our desktop, one that is on the cloud among other improvements ...

That's a common misconception.

Dropbox is not intended as a cloud-based folder or drive where your files only exist in the cloud. Dropbox is a file synchronization service, meant to keep the files on your computer in-sync with a copy in your account online.

Using Selective Sync and Smart Sync, you can remove the local copy of folders and files so they only exist in the cloud, but to access those files they need to be downloaded back to your computer. There is no way to access them directly in the cloud, and that's not what Dropbox was intended for.

Space

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Space.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post