cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Can I remove files from my other laptop folders once I've copied them to the Dropbox folder?

Level 3

I just started a Plus account and have added case files and photos to the Dropbox app on my computer.  I understand the website also has them in the Cloud.  To free up storage on my laptop, can I delete the files and photos on my PC folders and access them through the Dropbox app and/or website?

Tags (1)
5 Replies

Re: Storage

Dropboxer
Hey there @Robert47,

If you have copied files from your laptop into the Dropbox folder, then you can go ahead and remove the original copies located elsewhere on your laptop. 

Please do bear in mind though, that you will need to have an actual copy of the file within your Dropbox folder and not, for example, made a shortcut to the original file. If you simply copy and pasted the files into the Dropbox folder you should be fine to remove them from your PC folders. 

You will be able to access and edit the files from the Dropbox folder in your laptop and via the web. Any edits made on one platform will then sync to the other (providing your desktop app is running and you see the small Dropbox icon in your menu bar/system tray).

Hope this helps to clarify the matter - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Re: Can I remove files from my other laptop folders once I've copied them to the Dropbox folder?

Level 3

Yes, the advice was helpful.

Re: Can I remove files from my other laptop folders once I've copied them to the Dropbox folder?

Dropboxer
I’m glad to hear that @Robert47!

If you have any other questions about this, feel free to ping me here.

Hope you have a great day ahead - Cheers!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 3

Hi Daphne – Another quick question. I have thousands of photos on the Picture files in my Dropbox. When I turned on my IPhone upload (hoping to just get new iPhone pictures), Dropbox started to load thousands of archived photos on my phone – not desired. Is there a way to just get new iPhone photos uploaded automatically to a specific file on Dropbox?

Dropboxer
Hey again @Robert47,

When you activate Camera Uploads on your device it will automatically upload all the photos from your camera roll into your Dropbox account. Currently there isn’t the option to choose specific photos to upload, you will need to upload them manually into your account.

Also, with the Camera Uploads feature, the photos will be added to the default “Camera uploads” folder. Once photos are uploaded into this folder you can then move them to any other location in your Dropbox account. 

Please note, that once a photo has been automatically uploaded into your account via Camera Uploads then it will not be uploaded again into the account. For example, if you delete the photo from your Dropbox account or move it from the camera uploads folder, it will not be uploaded again automatically.

Hope this helps to clarify - Cheers!

Daphne

Space

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Can I remove files from my other laptop folders once I've copied them to the Dropbox folder?
5 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post