cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Known issues updated. Learn more

Help us improve our online support experience by taking our short survey!

yes

Confused about /share/folders on site

Level 2

Please clarify whose account is holding the data.  I assumed that the person who set up the files, who set up the Dropbox and shared the files, would be the "owner" of the data/space requirements so how is it that my account is almost full?  We're using Dropbox to share multiple large files.  I copy all of the files onto my laptop but if I delete the files from Dropbox after copying, aren't I removing them from the "owner"?

Thank you for your help.

3 Replies

Re: Confused about /share/folders on site

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi Erin, shared folders take up quota on all members’ accounts.

If you’re deleting files from the shared folder, then you will be deleting the files for everyone in that folder. You can instead copy the files from the shared folder to another folder on your computer without deleting them from Dropbox.

Hope this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Level 2

But if I'm running out of space some of the files will need to be deleted out of Dropbox then, correct?  Even though the other person has more space than I do?  How will that work?  He'll be able to upload additional (shared) files into his account but I won't be able to access them?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
That’s correct, if that user has more quota, they’ll not notice a difference and can upload until their quota limit. When you reach your limit, your account won’t be able to sync any more, and you’ll not see any updates to any of your folders or files.

If your quota is nearing its limit, instead of deleting files from the shared folder, which would affect everyone, you’ll need to remove the shared folder from your account.

You can request from the owner of the folder to create a shared link to the folder so that you can access it via the browser to download files from there.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Space

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Confused about /share/folders on site
More about this post
3 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See answer