cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting dropbox files from just my computer

Deleting dropbox files from just my computer

jessicabrown001
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I use dropbox for work, but only use a select few files and can easily just go onto dropbox online to download the files I need. I had the dropbox app installed on my laptop, but hundreds of other colleages files were downloading onto my laptop and using up all of my hard drive space. I have completely unlinked and deleted the dropbox app from my laptop, but all of the files are still there in my files. Is it safe for me to now delete these files from my laptop since I have removed & unlinked the app, or will it delete the files from others' dropbox? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Just remember to make sure that a folder is fully synced BEFORE you uncheck it in Selective Sync. When you uncheck a folder and apply your changes, the folder is removed from your local hard drive immediately, and if it hasn't fully synced to your account, you'll lose files.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Cb9
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

in the settings you should find selective sync and you can chose the folders that will sync directally

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Just remember to make sure that a folder is fully synced BEFORE you uncheck it in Selective Sync. When you uncheck a folder and apply your changes, the folder is removed from your local hard drive immediately, and if it hasn't fully synced to your account, you'll lose files.

drop44663
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yes, if what you say is true, that you've unlinked and deleted the app from your laptop, you should be safe. 

Others are proposing you stick with the app on your laptop and just adjust the sync settings. Sometimes, however, the app is not worth the trouble, as you suggested. Sometimes its easier to just access Dropbox thru your browser. I love the app/program and have been using it on my main computer for years.  Its seemless, it syncs smoothly, it allows you to access Dropbox like a regular folder, etc. But sometimes it make sense to access Dropbox without it and I access Dropbox thru browsers on secondary computers. Good luck!

libertine999
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Same problem: My Dropbox is full because I am linked with lots of other peoples' files that I don't need. "Selective sync" does not exist. Can I delete files from my dropbox archive (via Macbook-Finder) without deleting them from other peoples' archive?

barby
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

cant find the settings I need - where are they? I want to unsync my laptop so I can delete the files without deleting them on Dropbox

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@barby, do you want to use selective sync, or to completely unlink your computer from the Dropbox site? If the former check my previous link, otherwise, check here on how to unlink your machine.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    barby New member | Level 2
    libertine999 Explorer | Level 3
    drop44663 Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?