Announcements

yes

6 Comments
3 Likes
Highlighted
jpj Level 2
Level 2

Deleting files to save space

I would like to clean up my dropbox to gain space because I have old shared files that i no longer need. How do I do that?  It seems like it could be much, much simpler!  They tell us how to join for $$ but I don't want to spend $. Thanks! jpj

1 Accepted best answer

Accepted Solutions
Super User II

Re: deleting files to saved space

You need to leave the share first before deleting the files: https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/unshare-folder

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

6 Replies
Super User II

You need to leave the share first before deleting the files: https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/unshare-folder

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Dropboxer

Hey jpj, thanks for checking in with us on the Dropbox Community regarding your space-specific query, let me send over some tips below & we’ll take it from there!

Just as Mark proposed, you can leave unused shared folders and files so as to free up space and I’d suggest checking on to your account online as a point of reference, in order to see whether your account is indeed full.

As a workaround, I’d recommend following these simple steps to get some extra space on your account online. 

Let me know if you have any more questions & I’d be glad to follow-up. Thanks & I hope you have a lovely weekend! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Hi @Janepermanently deleting lot of GB of files not in shared folders is free space in my account?

I'm planning to reduce use of my space almost exausted by deleting some old unused file but this message are showed when i try to delete permantly: "The definitive elimination of the elements will not free space."

Can you hep me?

Dropboxer

Hey there (@stefanoterreni), as deleting items within a share affects all shared folder members, I’d recommend following Mark’s advice above instead to leave a share (& once you do, it will no longer take up any space on your account). 

From there, I’ve located your open Support request on our system on my end & I can see that you’re currently discussing your options with my colleague there. I’ve made sure to include a note of your comment, so as to have all relevant info on the same email chain. Should you need additional assistance or clarifications, please do keep them updated on that correspondence, as they can access your account specifics directly. 

I hope that this gets resolved soon for you & please do let me know here in case you need further assistance in any way & I’ll check back with you asap. Wishing you a lovely rest of your day ahead Stefano! 

Jane

Level 2

I don't have ANY shared folders. I'm just trying to find a simple way to delete photos that I don't necessarily want to save forever. The only option to delete is when I'm looking at a tiny version of the photos. When I click to enlarge and go through the photos, there is NO option to delete!!! It's absurd! I can't delete from the tiny photos I can't see!

Dropboxer

Hey there (@kristinejb), it seems that your request is slightly different than the one originally described on this discussion, however it’s my understanding that you’re currently navigating on your pictures through your Photos timeline. If so, then this conversation could be of assistance, as you’d need to select a photo & choose Show in folder, where you’d be given the option to delete them. 

In order to get going with the deletion, I’d suggest following these steps instead Kristine. Once you do, please let me know if you’re facing any issues or you have any additional questions & I’ll do my best to follow-up with you. Wishing you a wonderful Monday until we talk again! 

Jane

Space

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Space.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post