Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

12 Comments
42 Likes
Highlighted
Level 1

Do not need everything everywhere

I have my phone cam photos backed up by Dropbox, but I don't need them on my office computer where they take up too much space.  How do I keep backing them up without having to maintain copies everywhere?

1 Accepted best answer

Accepted Solutions
Super User

Re: Do not need everything everywhere

Hello, Andrew...

That email is intended as a general warning only to make you aware that you have 30-days to restore them (if needed).  It's better than no warning being sent and then you realize on the 31st day that you inadvertently removed files from your account with no way to get them back (unless you pay for extended version history or are a DFB member).

I do not work for Dropbox, I am just someone that uses Dropbox like you do.

You didn't answer the question in my previous post.  When you login to your Dropbox account via the web interface, are those folders/files still in your account?

12 Replies
Level 1

Thanks, I feel rather dumb now, I thought 'selective sync' meant choosing which local files are synced to Dropbox.

Super User

Hello, Andrew...

You're welcome. No need, you're not the first person to think that's how selective sync works slightly smiling face

Level 1

OK, so I went into Perferences->Account->SelectiveSync, and I got window listing folders where it ways at the top "Only checked folders will be synced to this computer".  So I unchecked the folders I didn't want on my office computer.

This morning I got an email from Dropbox warning me that I deleted over 4000 files and informing me that I have 30 days to restore them.  The files are still on my home computer.  Should I be worried they're about to disappear?  Or was the email nessage sent out in error?  Now I'm confused again (and worried).

Super User

Hello, Andrew...

By un-checking those particular folders/files using selective sync on your office computer, it is removing them from that hard drive (saving space on that hard drive was your goal).

Let's say that you had used selective sync from the start on your office computer, then those folders/files would never have downloaded to it's hard drive.

Make sense?

As long as all of your folders/files are on your home computer then you should be fine (double check again to be safe).

Level 4

I am switching from MOZY to DropBox. All from my "main PC". As I read about selective sync I will have to continually go to each of my other PCs and un-select them so they aren't sync'd to each of these other PCs. Esp since there won't be enough space on them. Is there a way to add folders to DB and mark then not to be sync'd to other PCs from the originating PC?

Thx in advance.

JB

Level 1

@310E1:

You seem to be saying that the warning I have only 30 days to restore those files is wrong, I can actually restore them any time?  

Super User

Hello, Andrew...

I didn't make any reference to the warning email.  I said that using selective sync on your office computer is removing the un-checked folders/files from that hard drive.

If you login to your Dropbox account via the web interface... are those folders and files still appearing in your account?

If so, there's no reason to restore them (restoring them would merely put those un-checked folders/files back on your office hard drive).

Level 1

So the email warning I received was unduly alarming?  Do you work for Dropbox?  If so, please have them change the wording of the message, it is confusing.

Space

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Space.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post