Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

DropBox Cloud Storage not working properly

Level 2

So I am not sure if I did it wrong but when I first set it up I opted in for cloud storage. My external ssd got corrupted some how, and I had to get programs to allow me to recover my WD passport 2TB drive. I signed up for drop box professional so I could utilize the 3tb to put all my stuff in temporarily to so I could fix the WD passport afterwards. Only problem is all the stuff I was transfering to my dropbox ended up taking space on my actual pc. Can someone help me understand why, and tell me if I missing or messed up on anything.

1 Reply

Re: DropBox Cloud Storage not working properly

Super User II

@takeshiblue wrote:

Only problem is all the stuff I was transfering to my dropbox ended up taking space on my actual pc.

You've misunderstood what Dropbox is and how it works. It's not a cloud-based folder or drive where the files you move into it only exist online. The Dropbox folder is just a folder like any other on your computer, and anything you place in it, by default, takes up space on your local drive.

Dropbox is a file synchronization service, intended to keep a copy of the files in your Dropbox folder in-sync with the copy of those files in your account online. Anything placed in the Dropbox folder exists on your PC, taking up space, and is synced to your Dropbox account.

There are features such as Selective Sync or Smart Sync that allow you to remove the local copy of files or folders, but the intent of Dropbox is that the files exist on your computer, and they're synced to your account and to any other device linked to your account.

Space

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

DropBox Cloud Storage not working properly
1 Reply
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post