Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

7 Comments
0 Likes
Highlighted
Level 3

Dropbox Full won't let me move pictures until I upgrade

My dropbox is full and I want to move the pictures from my drop box off to make more space.  It will not allow me to move pictures and keeps insisting I upgrade.  What is the solution to move my pictures off of drop box?

Tags (1)
7 Replies
Dropboxer

Re: Dropbox Full won't let me move pictures until I upgrade

Hey there @anowak - are you using the website only or the desktop application as well?

Generally speaking, if your Dropbox account is over quota then only syncing stops. Nothing will be removed and syncing will resume when you bring your account under quota again. To get your account under quota you can do any of the following:

1. Upgrade your account – check out www.dropbox.com/plans for other information.
  2. Increase your quota using referrals bonuses or other promotions.
  3. Leave any shared folders that put you over quota.
  4. Move files that don't need to sync out of your Dropbox folder.

Keep me posted on your progress!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3

Still doesn't help.  I want to move the files currently in my dropbox to my passport (hard drive) to clear the dropbox of all files.  The only option I seem to have is to buy more space.  I cannot MOVE any files right now.  Please help!

Dropboxer

Why though @anowak ? Are you getting any errors? If so, could you share a screenshot

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Super User II

How are you moving the files? Are you trying to download them from the Dropbox website, or are you moving them out of the Dropbox folder on your computer to another location?

You'll need to provide specifics before we'll understand how to best help you.

Level 3

I am trying to move the photos from dropbox by highlighting the boxes and clicking "move" to my passport drive- a little hard drive that plugs into my computer- is that what you are looking for?

Level 3

from my dropbox "files" to another location

Dropboxer

If I understood correctly you're referring to the website version of your account @anowak - right? Could you share a screenshot just to be sure we're on the same page?

By the way, do you happen to use our desktop application at all? If so, could take a look at the Dropbox icon in your taskbar (Windows) or menu bar (Mac) and see if it is done syncing?

When Dropbox is fully synced then you should see a tick followed by the words “Up to date” on the menu. If you do not see this then can you please let me know what the message being displayed reads?

If you do have the desktop app installed on your computer note that your Dropbox folder is just a normal folder on your hard drive. Therefore, if you drag and drop files into the Dropbox folder, those files will be moved instead of copied. 

It's common to assume Dropbox works like a network drive because of its many online features. However, your Dropbox folder is actually a normal folder and its contents are stored on your hard drive. The Dropbox application only watches your Dropbox folder for changes and syncs those changes online and to your other computers. One of the benefits of this way of syncing is always having access to your files, even while you are offline.

For more information on moving files versus copying them, visit our Help Center article:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/files-move-instead-of-copy

Let us know what you find!

Walter

Space

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Space.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post