Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Dropbox? Never again....

Level 1

Hi everybody,

I just want to warn anybody with a dropbox bigger than a couple of GB and with +300.000 files. Dropbox is not at all be able to handle this and my own attempts to recover 400GB ended all in chaos since over 1 month. Dropbox cant handle it, you cant sync anymore your files and you cant delete them either. Support requests are un-replied and nobody helps at all.

After downgrading my account already I still remain with 40GB trash in my account which I cant sync or delete anymore and even support requests to manual delete two of my directories got replied from support that this IS NOT POSSIBLE due to security issues.

With other words... you are left alone, and nothing works.
My advice, if you have all the date move to another cloud system which actually works and which has a functioning support.

5 Replies

Re: Dropbox? Never again....

Level 1

I was trawling through the forum for answers to my question and find more people having similar issues. Multiple accounts on one computer seems to be a HUGE issue. I feel like I'm all alone too since none of the helpful hints are helpful with specific issues and no way to contact anyone by phone or even by chat. VERY FRUSTRATING!

Any suggestions on a similar way to share and sync files? Googledocs? I didn't think it synced shared stuff on your computer. I'm sorry for your troubles. Hope you get answers soon. Good luck.

Super User II
I just want to warn anybody with a dropbox bigger than a couple of GB and with +300.000 files. Dropbox is not at all be able to handle this

This is known and documented in the help files: https://www.dropbox.com/help/39

Multiple accounts on one computer seems to be a HUGE issue

It's not a huge issue, it's just not supported unless one of those accounts is a Dropbox for Business account. This is by design.

no way to contact anyone by phone or even by chat. VERY FRUSTRATING!

Phone support is only available to Dropbox for Business customers. All others use the ticket system. Or you can ask your question here and we'll try to help.

Open your ticket here: https://www.dropbox.com/support
Track your ticket here: https://dropbox.zendesk.com

Replies take approximately 1 - 3 business days with Pro users getting priority (longer for Basic users).

Level 1

@Rich R.: It is nice that you always defend Dropbox here (I guess your job) but your arguments are not very good.

1. I did have a Dropbox PRO Account and there for I paid monthly (not little) but nobody told me or ever informed me that I cant use the 2 TB which I have paid for every month. You say it is documented but honestly which paying customer did read or know this BEFORE he got in trouble to recover your lost data. You pay because you trust a service which does NOT WORK in the end.

2. I did send not only one but 4 tickets... ONE of them got replied. support not working at all. Thanks for the TIP of the business Phone support, I thought when I am a paying customer I am worth support but unfortunately this is not the case.

3. Great that it isnt for you but for others PAYING CLIENTS it is a huge issue if a paid service does not work as sold and advertised. I am missing the information from dropbox "PLEASE DONT UPLOAD TO MANY FILES BECAUSE THAN YOU NEVER GET YOUR DATA BACK ANYMORE"

I recommend for everybody who has important data to move to other clouds which have A. Support B. Give you what you pay for without excuses.

Level 1

We have a business account and I was about to create a new one with my new department, but transitioning seems to be an ugly business. I disconnected my personal account and lost all my files on my computer. They are all still on the web interface, but that is a hassle to work from everyday. It is a HUGE issue since there was no warning whatsoever that my personal account wouldn't just be disconnected but no removed and no longer synced AT ALL. I signed up for the pitch that sold Dropbox to me in the first place "

What's Dropbox?
"One place for all your stuff, wherever you are."
Dropbox is a home for all your photos, docs, videos, and files. Anything you add to Dropbox will automatically show up on all your computers, phones and even the Dropbox website — so you can access your stuff from anywhere."

Is this too much? Doesn't say "rules apply." Even from our business account you couldn't find a phone number, we've looked. Just the sales number. I appreciate the links but why does it have to be so hard? We will be searching alternatives for 1000+ staff in our countywide organization.

Level 1

Okay I got response from support after 1 week!!! Result.... NO HELP

Aidan, Mar 25, 3:20 PM:
Hi Oliver,

Unfortunately, it is against our policy to delete files for users. You will have to delete the files yourself. We recommend starting by deleting subfolders if you are not able to delete the complete folder. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Aidan

I cant delete the files on webinterface because the file list not even opens.
Final solution: moved my stuff to google drive (works perfect) and I delete my entire dropbox account

NEVER AGAIN DROPBOX!

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Space

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox? Never again....
5 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post