Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Dropbox Plus out of space

Level 3
I'm a Dropbox Plus account holder for many years and I'm at 92% of my 1TB capacity. Not long and I'll be at maximum.

I want to find out exactly what my options are in terms of adding additional space?

I'm turned off massively against upgrading to Dropbox Business account because it has a minimum of 3 licenses required and I only need one so that would treble my cost if I switched to Dropbox Business is I will not be doing because they want me to purchase a locked 3 licenses.

What are my options?

17 Replies

Re: Dropbox Plus out of space

Super User II
I'm afraid the only option is Business :(

Dropbox have said previously they are not offering any additional ways to get space (ie. paid) to Plus or Professional.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Level 3
Thanks for your reply. But one thing that's irritating is why am I forced to pay three times the amount in the context of having to subscribe /*purchase three licenses?

I'm not a business owner per say so I only need 1 license with the added space which I'm happy to pay for. Currently paying €99.00 per annum for Dropbox Plus and the switch to Dropbox Business would cost me well over €300.00 per annum. Very disappointing as a very long term user.

Super User II
The only thing I can suggest is finding the appropriate threads on it at https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Share-an-idea/ct-p/101002000 and adding to them, however, I am 99% sure they were only recently marked as 'declined'.

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Dropboxer

I don't have an immediate solution for you, but I did want to inquire as to the amount of space that you expect you would need moving forward?  I work with the folks that manage the space per account and such, and would love to get an idea of what other sized plans would be relatively useful, and what your expected space needs over time might be. So, if you are open to discussion, please let me know here in this thread what your expected growth needs would be!

Level 3
Thanks for your reply and reaching out to assist, I'm at 92% of my 1TB Capacity so if I could extend to 1.5TB or 2TB that would greatly relieve the capacity issue. It's taken a good few years to get to 92% capacity of 1TB.

Dropboxer

Will send you an email shortly to follow up. Thanks again for your feedback!

Longtime customer, but out of space...

Level 5

I am a longtime happy Dropbox Personal user and also a current Dropbox Business user.  I love how you can use both together, and have had my Personal account for years and through many jobs- some of which are Dropbox Business users and some who are not. 

I'm maxed out on my 1TB for my personal account and am at a loss of what to do.  I don't want to upgrade my Personal account to Business as I can only really use one Business account at a time in the client.

Most of my Personal files are photos that are part of a large Lightroom catalog, so I don't want to partition them.  I also don't want to put my personal photos into my Business account. 

Is there any way I can get more storage in my Personal account?  This is somewhat time-critical as I need a file synching/backup solution.  I don't really want to- but may have to- look into moving to something like Google Drive.

I saw other forum threads where Dropboxers asked how much space users may want.  I think one practical max account size would be the amount of data you can put on a single internal hard drive.  Today it wouldn't be too hard to store 3TB of user data on a single 4 to 6TB drive...

Re: Longtime customer, but out of space...

Super User II
You can try and ask support, however, they've categorically said recently that 1TB is the maximum size unless you are on the higher Business plans. If I'm honest I wouldnt hold my breath.

I know it isnt ideal, but, could you move the stuff you just want backed up to a cheaper solution (I use CrashPlan for example as it just does backup - although that itself is closing down soon :( ) and leave Dropbox with the stuff you need to sync?

Re: Longtime customer, but out of space...

Level 5

Yeah, pure backup is not my only goal.  I actually access both Lightroom and Quicken from multiple computers using Dropbox.  And it works reasonably well that way as long as enough time is left between switching machines to synch.  

Space

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox Plus out of space
17 Replies
7 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post