Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Dropbox folder says it is taking up less space than my HDD says it is taking up

Level 2

Hi all!

I am hoping you might have an answer for me. I am a little puzzled.

I am trying to free up space on my laptop and I was looking at the properties of my folders and dropbox said it has 46.8GB. HOWEVER when I went to "settings/storage/This PC (HDD)/Other" it shows it as using 226GB of space!! Is there a reason they are so vastly different?  (see images)DB HDD Size.JPGDB properties Size.JPG

The 226GB is closer to being correct btw, but would have solved a headache had it not been hidden away!

I am using windows 10

thanks in advance for help!!

6 Replies

Re: Dropbox folder says it is taking up less space than my HDD says it is taking up

Dropboxer

Have you tried enabling "hidden files" and re-calculating the size of your Dropbox folder @Mystyeyes? If that does not help, you might have some folders selectively unsynced from this particular computer.

While we're at it, is your desktop app reading "up to date" (which would mean you're fully synced)? 

In any case, please keep me posted on your findings!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Dropbox folder says it is taking up less space than my HDD says it is taking up

Level 3

I may have a similar problem:  Dropbox states 0.9% of 1,026GB (= 9GB) is used.  My desktop states 9GB is used (using Windows Explorer).  My laptop states 110GB is used (using Windows Explorer).  On the laptop if I only highlight the contents of the dropbox folder and not just the folder itself, it also states 9GB.  It has been like this for weeks.  I can't find any cache to clear.  Nothing is selectively sync'd.

An extra 101GB somehow assigned in the Dropbox folder.  I'm running out of diskspace!

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Dropboxer

Thanks for the report @Zoomsky - I've just sent you a brief message at your Dropbox associated address so we can take a further look into this. Take a look at your inbox (ticket with ID:8865393) and we'll take it from there. 

Could you try re-installing the desktop app on your laptop in the meantime? 

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 3

Hi Walter,

Many thanks for your response.  I updated Dropbox to 66.4.84.  But to no avail.  

Unfortunately my email forwarding has a problem and I didn't get your email.  I'm trying to fix it.

When I try to change the email address online to my alternate it won't let me as apparently it's already in there.  Clicking on your ticket takes me somehow to a Google login page on which I can't login.  Sigh.

Any other way to get to your ticket?

Thanks

Level 3

Hi again Walter,

I just successfully changed my email address to a valid and reliable one.  Can you please resend ticket?

Thanks,

Dropboxer

I just did @Zoomsky (ticket ID: 8869309 )- you should be able to track it through Zendesk normally.

Take a look at my message and we'll take it from there.

Thanks!

Walter

Space

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox folder says it is taking up less space than my HDD says it is taking up
6 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post