cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox folder size is wrong

Dropbox folder size is wrong

dber
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

In windows 10, dropbox app is up to date. 

All below size was checked in windows explorer (right click -> properties : size)

Dropbox root folder size : 11.7 gb

subfolder 1 size : 11.7 gb

size of all files in one of sub-sub-subfolder : 80.5 gb

subfolder 2 size : 20.3 gb 

Can you please explain how comes ? Dropbox root folder size should be around 105 gb totally. Why 11.7 gb? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry for that @jeedee23 - from what I understand your issue here is that the syncing takes more time than expected after re-linking a specific device to your account, right? 

As for the last part of your inquiry about a "Snapshot" of your data  - this is not possible at the moment - there might be some 3rd party apps or services that are designed to do that but this would be out of my scope of expertise. 

Note that if you already had the files located in your device, you could go with the "Advanced" options when re-linking this particular device and point it to your already existing Dropbox Folder so as to avoid re-syncing all of your data. 

Finally, if you still have questions about this or think it should be investigated, let me know and I'll reach out to you via email to have a more in depth look into it with all of our tools available. 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @dber - how are you today?

First off, thanks for flagging this. Could you be so kind and provide a screenshot ( or more if needed) of this discrepancy in order to have a further look into it? Also, can you please let me know if you have restarted your computer after seeing this at all?

Thanks in advance for your reply! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

jeedee23
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello,

I have around 700 000 files in dropbox in the cloud, of which I sync around 500 000 (around 600 Gb) After relinking the dropbox folder, and looking at the properties, the filenumber never stops rising, I closed the properties window at 3,5 TB and 2 000 000 + files.
The resyncing takes about 4 days and 40% of CPU time ( I7 octacore 4700). How can  this be? 
Is there a way to take a 'snapshot', upload this and afterwards, do the syncing based on this snaphot, which should be the same locally and remotely of course?

It is a burden, to resync a computer, especially a laptop...

Schermafdruk 2018-06-17 19.41.19.png

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
There are ways of using external harddrives to move data around if you are setting up a new machine, but, they are very very processing power intense. If you are at the point of almost being finished syncing I wouldnt recommend it now.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @jeedee23 - how are you today?

Could you please let me know what your app says at the moment? Is it " Up to date" or still syncing?

Syncing that many files can take some time so I would go with Mark's suggestion here - just wait a little bit more until your desktop app states " Up to date".  Another thing you could do here would be to change your bandwidth settings to boost the syncing process.  

Moreover, it appears that your account contains a large amount of files. Kindly note that the performance of the desktop application starts to decline after reaching about 300,000 files. You can read more about this issue here

Another recommended way you can speed up your Dropbox is by using Selective sync which allows you to control which files and folders are being synced with a computer. Remember that if you’re having trouble accessing your files right now because of selective sync issues, your files are always safe and accessible on dropbox.com.

Finally, if you still have questions about this, I would suggest that you logged a ticket with our team and let them know about this in order to investigate this further if needed with all of our tools available and account specific information. 

I hope this information helps. If there's anything else I can do from my end to help, please do let me know and have a great day!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

jeedee23
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Walt 3R,

I did not get an answer to my question. I presume you did not read the problem very well... All of the solutions you imply are already known to me.

Bandwith in Belgium is 200 Mbps. 

But I already have an up to date dropbox in my network.

So why download and upload the **bleep** thing.

It says : "uploading 16000 + files", which are not needed for uploading... remaining 905000 files, while there are 'only' 700 000 files...

I think it is better to download the whole dropbox, than to sync an existing one...

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry for that @jeedee23 - from what I understand your issue here is that the syncing takes more time than expected after re-linking a specific device to your account, right? 

As for the last part of your inquiry about a "Snapshot" of your data  - this is not possible at the moment - there might be some 3rd party apps or services that are designed to do that but this would be out of my scope of expertise. 

Note that if you already had the files located in your device, you could go with the "Advanced" options when re-linking this particular device and point it to your already existing Dropbox Folder so as to avoid re-syncing all of your data. 

Finally, if you still have questions about this or think it should be investigated, let me know and I'll reach out to you via email to have a more in depth look into it with all of our tools available. 

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

lukearr
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

We have similar issue, the root Dropbox folders show incorrect file sizes for our files/folders in Windows 10. I have reinstalled Dropbox and didn't work. There is something very fishy going on here.

Everything is Sync'd. Smart Sync and Selective Sync are not used.

Dropbox (Top Level - Root)

• Size: 4.91 GB
  • Size on Disk: 4.92 GB
  • Contains: 5,138 files, 525 folders

Dropbox Sub Folder 1 - ADMIN

• Size: 2.45 GB
  • Size on Disk: 2.45 GB
  • Contains: 4,426 files, 505 folders

Dropbox Sub Folder 2 - MAR

• Size: 22.6 GB
  • Size on Disk: 22.7 GB
  • Contains: 14,916 files, 2,735 folders

Dropbox Sub Folder 3 - SALES

• Size: 4.61 GB
  • Size on Disk: 4.62 GB
  • Contains: 4,858 files, 847 folders

Dropbox Sub Folder 4 - ENG

• Size: 163 MB
  • Size on Disk: 163 MB
  • Contains: 229 files, 126 folders

If I click into Sub Folder 4 - ENG, select all and in Explorer click properties the size grows:

• Size: 20.0 GB
  • Size on Disk: 11.7 GB (this should be the same as size as nothing is smart or selective sync)

Something is very much up here, Windows is not seeing or Dropbox is not correctly calcauting the file sizes in Windows 10.

2018-08-23 09_26_41-Untitled - Notepad.png

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @lukearr - thanks for the report!

As I'd really need to take a deeper look into this to see what's going on, I've found your existing ticket in our system and replied to you there.

Check your inbox for my email and we'll take it from there. Thanks! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

jeedee23
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi,

WHY are you keeping this in the dark? 

I received your answer which was not an answer to the question.

The only  solution I found was:

1. completely remove dropbox and its contents from all devices.
  2. Then install a fresh Windows 10
  3. Then install dropbox and do selective sync  of a few folders
  4. Then work on until you have what you need. 

Takes a couple of days, but the dropbox in the cloud has taken care of your files.

I think: I had smart copy  installed, and I had a different thumbnail for every folder (the desktop.ini file in every folder)

Somehow this corrupted the data on the computer, since no files were lost in dropbox itself. (I have 700 000 + files , around 900 GB)

Conclusion: dropbox is ok, try to tamper anything on win10 and you are f...

Regards

Johan

PS: the "snapshot" of the filedirectory on dropbox would still be a lot of help. I remember there used to be "Your drive already has a dropbox folder on it. Do you want to sync these files with dropbox"??

This option is gone. I suppose if the cache would contain a database with the filestructure, compare the actual files with the files in the cloud, and not download if identical, this would save a lot of time and bandwidth.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Frustrated10101 New member | Level 2
    jeedee23 Explorer | Level 4
    lukearr Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?