cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox is creating multiple copies of all my files and saving them to my hard drive, to the point where my entire HD storage is full. WHY? HOW CAN I STOP THIS?

Dropbox is creating multiple copies of all my files and saving them to my hard drive, to the point where my entire HD storage is full. WHY? HOW CAN I STOP THIS?

Elyse g.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I have a MacBook Air and do not keep a lot of large files (photos, music, movies, audio etc) on my hard drive. But the other day I got a message that I was out of disc storage!
When I investigated it, I discovered that nearly every file on my computer had been duplicated multiple times and given a Dropbox file location. However, when I look in my dropbox folders and online, the documents are not in Dropbox! WHAT IS GOING ON AND HOW CAN I DELETE ALL THESE DUPLICATE FILES AND STOP THIS!!!!!

22 Replies 22

Richard P.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

"Users/MyMacBookAir/Public/DropBox/Archive Photo 2/London Trip Videos/London Trip Videos from Panasonic Videocam"

That DropBox is actually unrelated to this service - its a folder created by Apple for people to drop files into your computer when you turn that ability on on your Mac. Completely and utterly not related to Dropbox.com which is why you aren't seeing them synced.

Sorry, but it would seem that Dropbox isn't to blame in this situation 🙂

Elyse g.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thank you, Richard!  But how are other people dropping these files into my computer, if they are my files?  Not sure how that happens.  So, you are saying that there is something on Macs that is called "Dropbox"?  That seems odd, since in at least 5 hours with AppleCare, none of the advisors or their supervisors mentioned this!  How do I turn it off?  

Thanks again for any solutions you can provide.

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@*Elyse g. *; I would suggest you ring Applecare back and tell them what dicks they are then.

10 seconds of searching on google and I found this.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18716?locale=en_US&viewlocale=en_US

Elyse g.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

WOW.  Dave, that is both great news and ridiculous news, as I think my total hours on phone is something like 6-8 hrs in last 2 days.  -- I myself did not notice the difference between "Drop Box" (with a space between words, which is the Apple OS feature)  and "Dropbox" (no space between words, which is the 3rd party software) until I noticed it today and pointed it out in the file paths I've been discussing with 2 different AppleCare supervisors.

The one today said he was completely unaware of it, had to go to someone else and find out about it while  was on hold!

He says its a permissions issue.  We managed to clear out about a third of my total disc space by deleting duplicate files (a couple of nights ago I had downloaded a program called Araxis that finds and deletes duplicate files), and clearing out the Drop Box (with space) folder on my hard drive.

I don't know why all my Google-ing and searches didn't get me to the page you pulled up. Maybe because I didn't put a space between the "Drop" and the "Box"  

I don't know why Apple and Dropbox aren't suing each other for using the same name and confusing Apple's customers. Or maybe they did. 

Anyway, I'm giving you an "up vote" for whatever that's worth!  THANK YOU!

DaveC2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

No worries, perhaps google are using smart logic, they know your using an apple (via browser ids) and might have dropbox so didnt display you the apple vs dropbox pages, hopping you will get annoyed enough you will by google drive 😛

(conspiracies everywhere!)

I Voted up Richard P. for the real hit on it, as I looked at the path and was like WTH is the folder doing in there?

Elyse g.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Ha! Yes you're right.  I would love to find a search engine based purely on relevance.  it's getting very out of hand on Google,  thanks for reminding me!!!

Tine J.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hey guys.

I got the same problem.. but in my case, its dropbox and not macs drop box who are doing it.. Im going insane!

Users/Privat/ - and together with Desktop, Documents, Downloads, music, public and so on is my Dropbox - Dropbox (old (1)) and Dropbox (old (2)).

I can't work because dropbox takes all my space on my imac.. I believe that if I delete the folders I delete my dropbox content...

Please help.. I got clients who are waiting for there orders 😞

alison r.2
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I don't know if this is exactly the same issue or if it will solve the different problems, but I too had a dropbox (version 3.17.32) folder that contained multiple duplicate files (labelled xx(2) xx(3) etc. My duplicate file finder could not 'see' them, and therefore could not delete them. It came up with a list of zero duplicates.

I have now run the same exercise on my work computer (on both machines dropbox was saying it was 'synced'), and magic - it has found  1900 duplicates. No idea what has gone on. But it may pay to look at other computers that are supposed to be synced to the cloud dropbox 

elyse g.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks everyone,

I'm sorry not to have posted this earlier but my PROBLEM IS SOLVED!!!

It turns out that there is a Drop Box file in Mac's OS but it is not the same as the Dropbox website/software, where we are now.  it's very confusing, but as I recall, the Mac OS file has a space between the 2 words and this website doesn't. 

Let's hope Apple's Applecare people forward what I told them about how confusing this is.  Can't believe there isn't some trademark claim going in either directions. 

So, after some struggle with the Apple folks, this turned out to be the source of the confusion.  It had to do with the Mac OS, not Dropbox.

Adam S.56
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Drop is duplicating all my files on all our computers filling up the hard drives, how do I stop this from happening? Who at drop box authorized this and what is their contact information?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Adam S.56 New member | Level 1
    elyse g. New member | Level 1
    alison r.2 Explorer | Level 4
    Tine J. New member | Level 1
    Elyse g.2 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?