cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Windows 10 app alerts that my dropbox is full when it isn't

Erroneous "Your Dropbox is full" message

AndyL
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am getting a regular "Your Dropbox is full" pop-up - but I have plenty of space.

This 'appears' to have become a problem since I've added a Work dropbox - though that meay be a red herring.

I get the message despite my personal dropbox only showing 6.6GB  of 8.88GB used and my work dropbox showing 300.7MB of 2GB used.

126 Replies 126

OliverHill
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Oh dear, I got this reponse from Dropbox support.

Hi there,
Thanks for contacting Dropbox Support.

For solutions to some of our most common issues, click the link below. The page you're taken to will have more specific instructions on how to address your question.

All best,
The Dropbox Support team

Looks like they're not going to be looking any further into this for me.

On the plus side I was able to leave them some sarcastic feedback on their FAQ section of the site (which I suspect nobody will ever look at - but it made me feel better at least)

sherinik
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am having the same problem with Windows 10 on one machine - I have another two Windows 10 machines and a Samsung phone attached to the same account which are NOT giving this message. Plenty of hard disk space, plenty of Dropbox space, and yet I am receiving this 'out of space - upgrade now' message on 1 out of 4 machines logged in to the same account.

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry about that. Can you please tell me your ticket number? I’ll make sure it gets taken care of. 

Thanks!

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

OliverHill
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks Sanchez!

Here you go:

Ticket #6153445

Kind Regards

Oliver

OliverHill
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi sherinik,

Do you happen to know if you have any "Sharing" set up with other drop boxers? 

I may well be wrong here, but whilst I was reading through various FAQs I came to an understanding that if another user has created a shared folder and you have 'joined' this share then this also counts towards your own space. It doesn't say whether the effect of any shares on your storage is reflected in the usage/availability figures quoted within the Settings/Account - but one would hope so.

The following FAQ explains how to check and delete/leave shares. Actually I think it's a bit out of date but hopefully will still make sense.

https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/leave-shared-folder

When I checked I actually did have a shared Folder listed and had an option to add it as a button, and another option under the ... (ellipsis) which I think said soemthing like 'remove access' - I wish I had taken a screen grab now. Whilst I don't think I had actually joined the share (hence why there was an [Add] button), I thought maybe dropbox may also be including shares that I had been invited to but hadn't actually joined and so I clicked the ''remove access' and it disaperared from the list.

This didn't solve my problem - and my space usage/availability didn't change either - but thought it might be worth you taking a look.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the detailed message, let’s look into that together!

To my mind, it appears that it d be better for you to go ahead with a fresh re-installation, that would reload all visual elements once again. Please follow the steps below: 

#1. Stop Dropbox (If needed):

- Click the Dropbox icon in the system tray at the bottom of your screen. 

- Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel gear and select "Quit Dropbox".

#3. When the uninstall finishes, reboot your computer. This will make sure the uninstall is complete.

#4. Download and install the newest offline version of Dropbox here (Windows) or here (Mac). 

@camerb Thanks for following-up! 

I’ve located your open support ticket and I’ve made sure that a team member has been assigned to the case. At your convenience, could you check your inbox for our latest message and let me know if you have any issues locating the reply, so that I make sure that you receive it again?

If you need more help, just let me know in your replies! 

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @OliverHill

Thanks for the follow-up, much appreciated! 

I’ve located your open support ticket and I’ve made sure that you have received a reply on your open support request. At your convenience, could you check your inbox for our latest message and let me know if you have any issues locating our latest message so that I make sure that you receive it again?

Hope this gets resolved soon! 

Warm regards, 
JaneA

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

sherinik
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks Oliver - I did check and remove access to several shared folders but like you, no change.

I would expect that if that was the issue, that would impact all instances of my account, not just one, though?

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi all!

Apologies about this, we had a slight issue at our end, it's possible that you received ‘Over Quota’ notifications by mistake if you are a Dropbox Pro / Dropbox Plus user on Windows 10. 

We've fixed this problem and you should no longer see the notification. If you do, then it may be unrelated to the issue. Any support tickets submitted to the Support team will of course still be answered, but if you no longer see the issue and it looks to you like you're not approaching your limit then you can relax.

Many apologies.

Happy Dropboxing!

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@camerb

Apologies about this, we had a slight issue at our end, it's possible that you received ‘Over Quota’ notifications by mistake if you are a Dropbox Pro / Dropbox Plus user on Windows 10. 

We've fixed this problem and you should no longer see the notification. If you do, then it may be unrelated to this issue. Any support tickets you submitted to the Support team will of course still be answered, but if you no longer see the issue and it looks to you like you're not approaching your limit then you can relax.

Many apologies and happy Dropboxing!

@Jane love the graphics in the step by step!!

Need more support?