cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: earning free space

How to get more Dropbox storage space for free

Zed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello everyone!

I wanted to show you exactly what happens and what steps you'll need to follow in order to get more free space in your Dropbox.

From your Account Settings page you see all your current space and all the space you've earned.

To begin earning more free space, you can visit the Dropbox Get more space page here

From this page you can invite your friends to join Dropbox by emailing them, sending them a direct link to join or sharing your invitation on Facebook. You can earn up to 16 GB !

------------------

Finally, can check the space you've earned by going to this page and you'll have a detailed list of all the actions you've taken and how much free space you've earned!

If you have any trouble with this process or feedback and ideas about this, feel free to leave your comments below and I'll get back to you or reach us on @DropboxSupport on Twitter and our team will be happy to note your feedback and assist you!

Have a great day all!

Zed
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

58 Replies 58

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
Have they installed it on a computer? Mobile devices (phones/tablets, etc.) do not count.

If they did install it on a Windows computer, make sure they download and install the full Dropbox client and not the app that's found in the Microsoft Store. That app is a mobile client and will not qualify for the referral.

Zed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @bbarkanov, exactly as Rich said, please have the invited users to install the Dropbox app.

If the space is not credited after this, please raise a ticket with our support team so they can investigate more on this.

Once you do, please let me know here with the ticket ID so that I can help.

Thank you!

Zed

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Zed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @Greg S.18

I'd recommend raising a ricket with our support team so they can help you. Thanks!

Zed

Greg S.18
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Dropbox help, support and chat is very sorry. I will refrain from saying that they are stupid and worthless because after months of wasted time they sent me a link to Youtube videos this evening. Dropbox probably could win all of the prizes for worst help and support for all Apple, Android and Windows applications. Dropbox support was so terrible that the had to start Dropbox Community. That is totally sorry.

Zed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @Greg S.18,

I located your open tickets with us and reviewed your conversation with our agents. From what I understand, you wanted some tutorial videos regarding Dropbox and how to use it, you can find all of our official material here.

I will forward your comments to our team - our support team is highly qualified to help you on every question and we're always here to help.

Constructive criticism and feedback from our users regarding the product help us get better -  it is something we're looking for, this is the purpose of our Dropbox Community .

Let's keep the criticism constructive and the conversation professional, we're here if you need us.

Thank you.

Zed

LucaSP1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

my dropbox standard is about 8GB thanks to referrals, i'd like to share a big folder (about 3GB) with some friends who have a new standard account (2GB). can i do that? i mean do they need to have 3GB free space or the space limit that counts is only the space available to the creator of the folder?

same question put in other words, if i upgrade to dropbox plus and gain 1TB, then can i share a giant folder with friends who have a standard account?

Zed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @LucaSP1,

From your end, you can share the folder with the users and they'll get notified and prompted to add this folder to their Dropbox but if they don't have the available quota, they won't be able to add it and will be prompted to get more space.

Thanks!

Zed

acleverdecoy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have found the Help pagehttps://help.dropbox.com/space/earn-space-referring-friends and at Step#4 there is no "Invite a friend" option on this Settings page. It only allows me to "Upgrade" the account. It is already a "Personal" account. I am at 2.27G of 2G account and only need a little bit more space so i don't have to do a full-on upgrade. Please help!

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @acleverdecoy, welcome to our forum! 

Can you try using a different web browser? If the issue persists, please take a screenshot and reply back to me here so I can have a look.

Thanks!

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

bee4
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Only got the option to Follow on Twitter and share why I like Dropbox. How do I get the rest?

Need more support?