Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Help needed: space almost full

Level 3

Dropbox says my space is almost full. On Dropbox, it shows my usage is 11.7GB. However, on my disk my Dropbox folder is only 4.5GB. There is a huge discrepancy. I have already cleared all hidden files and permantaly removed all deleted files on Dropbox web. However, my usage does not reduce at all. Please help

7 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Help needed: space almost full

Super User

Hello Danjan1234

Thanks for posting here, I will try to clarify a few things for you.  First off, permanently deleting all deleted files, does not count toward your quota.

Are you sharing any folders with anyone?  if so, then perhaps it added to your quota.  Are you using Selective Sync on your PC?  if so,  all files count toward your quota even if its stored in the cloud only.

Hopes this helps

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Level 2

I have a similar problem and have submitted a help ticket but have not heard back.  The only files I have are the files I share with my team.  I sized/added up those shared files, and they come to 22MB total; I should have 2GB of total space in my box, yet Dropbox says my box is at 237%.  Other team members are having the same problem.

Level 3

I don't have anything shared (It's empty under sharing tag). All the files on Dropbox are exactly the same as those in my own computer, yet it takes more than 2X space in Dropbox than my local version.

Level 3

I will be awsome to go above 100%

Dropboxer
Hey @LenoreR & @danjan1234, I’d happily take it from where you’ve left off with @Chris_J & send you some more details that will shed a bit of light on how your account allowance is calculated!

For starters, if you’re using a personal account, you can look for your available space breakdown on your Account tab online: https://www.dropbox.com/account/plan in case you’re getting a message that you’re above your account allowance. What do you see there? 

Following, it’s highly that a shared folder has been putting you above your storage allowance, so I’d recommend following these simple steps to get some extra space on your account online in case you wish to keep the shares. 

Last but not least, you may keep in mind that if you're ever over your space quota, you'll no longer be able to save new files to Dropbox & your files will no longer sync between the devices you've connected to your Dropbox account, though Dropbox won't delete any of the files already there. 

I hope that this brings a bit more clarity to your inquiry & please do let us know here if you still need assistance in any way; I’m positive we can get this sorted soon. Cheers! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 3

I checked the break-down page and it says my regular file is 11.7GB. The shared files are 18.5MB. This is already unusual because the same files only acount for 4.5GB space in my laptop.

Dropboxer
Thanks a lot for looping back to me here on the matter @danjan1234 with this additional info!

Please note that our website provides the most accurate info in regards to your quota usage (& for context you may have a look at Mark’s reply here, since cached items/ hidden files may impact the result you’re getting locally)

Just so as to follow-up a bit more closely with you, would you mind sharing a screenshot of the Dropbox folder Properties (Win)/ Get Info (Mac), so as to have a look? Thanks again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Space

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Help needed: space almost full
7 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution