Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

4 Comments
0 Likes
Highlighted
Level 2

How can I find out how many files I've stored in my Dropbox account?

How do I find out how many files I have? I get the storage space, I know how many gigs, but I am trying to find out how many files, specifically how many songs, I have stored without going through the maze of all the albums and whatnot. Is there a way to find out how many of a specific type of file is in the entire dropbox storage space?

2 Accepted best answer

Accepted Solutions
Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Re: file numbering

Hi Liz, you can do a search for a filetype using the search bar on the top right.

When viewing all results, on the top left you’ll see the total number of files. If that number is 100, scroll to the bottom of the page, where it will load another hundred, and so on until you get a non-hundred number (like 568 files).

Hope this helps!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

Re: How can I find out how many files I've stored in my Dropbox account?

Go to your Dropbox folder and search for ".mp3" without the quotations.

If on a mac, make sure View > Show Statusbar is on in menu on top for finder.

4 Replies
Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi Liz, you can do a search for a filetype using the search bar on the top right.

When viewing all results, on the top left you’ll see the total number of files. If that number is 100, scroll to the bottom of the page, where it will load another hundred, and so on until you get a non-hundred number (like 568 files).

Hope this helps!

Jay

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 2

Re: How can I find out how many files I've stored in my Dropbox account?

Go to your Dropbox folder and search for ".mp3" without the quotations.

If on a mac, make sure View > Show Statusbar is on in menu on top for finder.

Level 3

Unless, of course, some of your music files are .mpa, .wav or other format.  This hightlights one of the greatest flaws in the Dropbox web interface in that it is only a file list with search without any type of summary reporting process. With more than 1.5 million files in our business account, it's a fairly unsatisfactory response to have to do a search by file type and then add up the number of files in the search results.  After all, how much effort would it be for.... um, I don't know... maybe the computer to do that for us?   Sorry (not sorry) for the snark, but there's a ton of enhanced functionality needed in Dropbox, and I wish they'd focus on that more than all the "new" things they think are cooler to do.   

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

I could suggest to our dev team to see if this is something that can be implemented in the future!

Jay

Space

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help you find an answer!
You won’t have to wait too long for a reply, but why not learn more about the Community while you’re here.

Not the right discussion for you? Find out what else our Community has to say about Space.

Or, search our Help Center for even more.

Who's talking
Top contributors to this post