Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

How can I move Dropbox content to my computer to free up space in my account?

Level 2

I ran out of space and there are a ton of photos that I'm fine with just dropping in a folder on my desktop. I haven't found a great storage solution aside from an external drive for photos that I don't want to access regularly, but I like the ease of sycing to dropbox for new photos and backups. I had created a folder in dropbox and moved all of those files over to the new folder. I then dragged that folder to my desktop and it looks like it just copied everything. If I now delete the folder in dropbox, will it delete what I have on my desktop? I feel like I'm just continuously making copies of everything lol. Help!!!

5 Replies

Re: Storage

Super User II

Hi @hja1387 

No, that folder which is on your desktop is now totally independent of the one in Dropbox. 

So unless you did something specific to link them together all is fine to delete the Dropbox one.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

anonymous
Not applicable
What kind of computer are you using?

Level 2

It's a Mac. I dragged the folder and unfortunately, it doesn't actually move the files. I'm trying to download from dropbox now but I'm still worried about it linking. Thankfully it's easy to restore files in dropbox. Ugh lol. Just trying to free up space on my phone... that's the main issue. I think somehow, I have copies of photos on my internal, sd and dropbox. I have no idea what happened.

anonymous
Not applicable
Here's how I can move files out of my dropbox. I am visually impaired, and I use a screen reader called voiceover. Therefore, drag and drop is not available. On a mac, you can't "cut" a file to the clipboard, but there is an equivalent way to do this. What I do instead is I navigate to the file, hit command C to copy it to the clipboard. Then go to the folder or location that you want to paste it in and hit command option V. This will let you move the file to your chosen location. I hope this helps.

anonymous
Not applicable
You may also try dropbox business free trial, which lasts up to 30 days if you would like. You can have all the space you need in the mean time while you are resolving this issue. No credit card needed.
Space

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How can I move Dropbox content to my computer to free up space in my account?
5 Replies
1 Like
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post