Did you mean: 

How to disable Dropbox pop-up Upgrade message on my Windows at Start-up

SOLVED
25 Comments
46 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4

How to disable Dropbox pop-up Upgrade message on my Windows at Start-up

For the last few weeks, I keep receiving a Pop-Up Message in the bottom right-corner of my Windows 7 machine to Upgrade, when I first turn on my computer, since I have run out of storage.  I do not want to upgrade at this time and want to disable this message. I know that I have to Upgrade eventually, so I don't need to be notified every time on turn on my computer.  I have checked the Preferences in the General section, and there's no option to disable notiications. Please help!

Only options in the General section to check or uncheck , is System  "Start DropBox on System Start-up", Notify Me About "Comments, Shares, or @mentions" and "Synced Files" , then Dropbox Badges.

• Windows
2 Accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Super User II

Re: How to disable Dropbox pop-up Upgrade message on my Windows at Start-up

That notification cannot be disabled.

Solution
Dropboxer

Re: How to unistall notifications for 1TB upgrade

Hey @kevinfromdavis

Hope you have a great week ahead, please let me further clarify!

As I had mentioned above, this workaround may help users prevent this notification from popping up in some cases, though if this doesn't apply in your device and your account is well under quota, to further assist please log a ticket with our support team, so that we focus on that specific example. Once you write in to us, please let me know in your reply here, so that I look for your ticket internally. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Warm regards, 
JaneA

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please Accept as Solution White check mark if this post answers your question!
Kudos relieved face are always appreciated!! Rainbow

25 Replies
Solution
Super User II

That notification cannot be disabled.

Level 4

Why?
Super User II

You'd have to ask Support.

So... drop box has taken to spamming Win7 users with a pop up ad that steals focus from other windows, sitting on top of whatever the user is actually trying to work on, and left no way to opt out?  Right then, time to delete drop box, it's outlived it's usefulness...

Level 2

I've only gotten this message once (unsurprisingly after I temporarily maxed out my storage sharing one massive file). If I keep getting these annoying popups, I'm going to switch to one of the other 800 services that does the same thing as Dropbox and doesn't pester me for a subscription plan I don't need or want. It infuriates me that Windows allows this crap in the first place.

And do I really need to say how wrong "That notification cannot be disabled" is from a design perspective? So dropbox feels they can control the behavior of my machine? Not control their own app on my machine, but control the way OTHER apps dispaly on my machine, but covering them with a [profanity removed] ad?

Any other program that did this would be called malicious... A virus. But dropbox thinks it's a-ok to do?

And yes, I asked this of support. My first ticket they sent an automated response that had nothing to do with the question and closed the ticket. My follwup they sent a set of procedures that reference clicking on options that don't actually exist in their own preference screen. I responded to that with screen shots asking them to clarify, but 6 days in now with no simple answer means I'm not holding my breath.

Super User II

First, please refrain from using that kind of language on this public forum. Continuing to do so could see your posts removed or your forum account suspended. Thank you. Your post has been edited.

TwoOrMoreChars wrote:

So dropbox feels they can control the behavior of my machine?

They're not controlling your computer's behavior. They're controlling their own application. It's the application that is presenting the window, not your operating system. It's simply coming to the forground, just like so many other applications when they present a dialog while the application is not in focus. It's nothing new, and certainly not malicious.

If anyone has a problem with how a dialog is presented in a program, then they should blame Microsoft/Apple for allowing applications to take focus when out of focus.

Level 2

Are you clueless why someone doesn't want repetitive pop up notifications every time they turn on their computer? Seems pretty straightforward to me.  

Don't just say, "why?"

Level 2

No, Rich, it is using the notification API within Windows to present the pop up. I have since blocked Dropbox's access to this portion of Windows, and that has essentially eliminated my problem.

Press start and type "notifications" then turn Dropbox off.