cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

I cannot get selective sync to stop syncing folders that have spaces in the names using the linux command line tool

Level 1

When I try to add a folder named something like "test folder" to the exclude list, it instead adds test and folder to the exclude list. I have tried
dropbox exclude add 'test folder'
dropbox exclude add test\ folder
dropbox exclude add "test folder"
and each one has done the same thing. Does anyone know how to get this to work?

7 Replies

Re: I cannot get selective sync to stop syncing folders that have spaces in the names using the linux command line tool

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there

Sorry for the late response - are you still having issues?

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: I cannot get selective sync to stop syncing folders that have spaces in the names using the linux command line tool

Level 6

Same issue here!

Have tried:
dropbox exclude add ~/Dropbox/Folder\ Name
dropbox exclude add ~/Dropbox/'Folder Name'

Exclusion works perfectly with any other folders. It all takes quite awhile to process though (I'm talking hours), so it takes some time before I can try a different combination.

Is it possible at all - or am I running down a windy garden path?

Level 1

I was also suffering from this problem with version 2015.10.28 of dropbox but it turned out to be an error on my part.  I have two dropbox accounts (one personal and one for work).  In order to support both of them I wrote a bash script that wraps /usr/bin/dropbox and sets HOME to an account-specific value (i.e. not /home/john).  My problem was that my wrapper script was splitting up arguments with spaces and handing them to the real dropbox program as individual arguments.  In case it helps here is an excerpt from my wrapper script after I got everything working:

dropboxHome="$(findDropboxHome $(pwd))"
exec env HOME=$dropboxHome /usr/bin/dropbox "$@"

The key is the quotes around the $@.  

Level 1

I ran into this exact problem today.

I tried searching for a config file, that I could just edit by hand, but I found none.

Please make it possible to exclude paths with spaces.

Re: I cannot get selective sync to stop syncing folders that have spaces in the names using the linu

Level 5

You can get into the directory that has spaces in it's name and then execute the command bellow:

dropbox exclude .

Re: I cannot get selective sync to stop syncing folders that have spaces in the names using the linu

Level 2

Hi,

Put the full path in quotes.

For example:

dropbox exclude add "/your/path/to/Dropbox/test folder"

Level 2

To be fully clear, this should actually be

dropbox exclude add .
Space

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I cannot get selective sync to stop syncing folders that have spaces in the names using the linux command line tool
7 Replies
2 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post