cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

I'm getting an error message that I'm running out of space on my personal account. Why?

Level 2

I have a personal account as well as a business account. I recently added the business account and have been moving over folders/ files from my personal. However, a message saying that my personal account is too full and therefore not syncing all files, has recently appeared. This doesn't make sense to me because I have been moving files out of it. What am I missing? 

5 Replies

Re: Storage Space

Dropboxer
Hey there (@rptschetter), as you’ve mentioned that the issue pertains to your personal account, let me quickly ask you what you’re seeing on your Account tab online: https://www.dropbox.com/account/plan for your available space breakdown. Is it personal or shared files/folders that are putting you above your allotted storage?

Depending on what you can see there, I'd say that it’s highly that a shared folder is the culprit for using up your space, so I’d recommend following these simple steps to expand your allowance on your personal account in case you wish to keep the shares. That essentially means that despite moving moving files out of this account, it may be full because others are adding files within a shared folder.

I hope that this brings a bit more clarity to your inquiry & please do let me know here if you still need assistance in any way; I’m positive we can get this sorted soon. Have a wonderful rest of your day until we talk again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

Thank you. This helps me understand a little bit better. After checking it does look like the storage is being taken up by my personal files and not shared files. I believe it may just be time to upgrade. 

Dropboxer
Ah, glad to hear that this has been a bit clearer to you & I appreciate it that you pinged me back to let me know of your findings. Now, it’s up to you to choose a plan that matches your needs however I’m always around if you need additional assistance in any way or you have further questions or thoughts. 

(Tip: Just in case you'd just need just a bit of extra space, I'd recommend following these simple steps to slightly bump up your quota.)

Have a relaxed weekend ahead & happy Dropboxing until we talk again! Unicorn

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Syncing again after reducing full dropbox

Level 2
Hello, My dropbox was full and wouldn't sync. I have deleted a sufficiently huge number of files, but continue to get 'full dropbox' sync error. I have restarted computer and logged in and out to refresh, but to no avail. Any advice? Thanks

Re: Syncing again after reducing full dropbox

Dropboxer
Hey there (@pjfr), from what I gather by your description you’re (in all likelihood) receiving this message as your account is indeed above your storage allowance. For that reason, I’ve moved your post under this discussion, in order to ping you towards the pointers I had posted above. 

Please have a look at my suggestions & tips at your convenience & let me know what you see on your end whenever you get a chance. Thanks for getting in touch on the Community & I’ll be awaiting your next reply; I’m positive we’ll clarify this soon! 

Jane

Space

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I'm getting an error message that I'm running out of space on my personal account. Why?
5 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post